• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

I-16 Type 17 in 1/32, OD's Mulligan

I hate it when nothing seems to go right ...... But I really love it when a plan comes together ..... :eek:ldguy

OK, with the engine bay issues settled it's time to move on. I looked at a lot of interior photos on line but most if not all were either reproductions or museum pieces, no two appeared quite the same and about the only common feature was the landing gear crank and throttle quadrant. Since not much else will be visible anyway I went with those. Throttle quadrant...

i-16-32-b13.jpg

Gear crank...

i-16-32-b14.jpg

Seat with harness attached to floor with stick and rudder bar...

i-16-32-b15.jpg

I was going to do some Airscale instrument decals on the IP but it sits so far back under the cowl that it seemed a wasted effort. I just highlighted the raised detail with a silver pencil and put some gloss in the bezels. For what will be seen of it, it will provide the illusion of instruments...

i-16-32-b16.jpg

By the next update things should be going together.

Thanks for looking !

OK, time for a short catch up on this one. Like most Special Hobby kits there are some fit issues and this one is no exception. Most involve wing to fuselage attachment and that is where I had issues with this one but I was able to shift things around a bit so that all the alignment issue was at the upper wing roots with all the other joints fitting fairly tight. I ended up with about a 1/16" gap on the port wing and about half that on the starboard. Sometimes big gaps are easier to fill and that was the case here. A strip of styrene was cut to fit and sanded down. Fortunately there are few panel lines in that area so no rescribing was necessary. I was going to photograph this but was in a hurry to get some primer on and forgot :eek:ldguy Anyway here is where it is at now. I still have a couple of small spots to touch up but for all intents and purposes it's ready for paint.

i-16-32-b17.jpg

Note: The cowling is just tacked on for painting, it will fit much better when glued !

I should be squirting on color soon.

Thanks for looking !

Looking good Gary! Always thought that was such a funky looking plane with the huge front, wide wingspan and short length. Looking forward to seeing it in colors! (y)

:popcorn

Back