• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

how about a revell p-51d in 1/48 finished

fightnjoe

yep thats right. i am finishing up the peashooter and decided to start another project. normally i would not do this, i get confused with more than one build going.

but i started this one anyway. again with my little twists.

first what i started with.

box-top_zps62dc7509.jpg

start-1_zps464e0dcf.jpg

start-2_zpse375fedc.jpg

start-3_zps9d12961f.jpg

start-4_zps0c2186c4.jpg

pretty sparse in detail. where to start. well how about the pit. how about the main part of the pit.

here is how the kit pieces go together. my kid started this several years ago. he finished the seat/fuel tank/radio equipment.

kit-pit-3_zps783eaa77.jpg

kit-pit-2_zps1e899100.jpg

kit-pit-1_zpsdb6403bf.jpg

and here is what i have come up with based on several ref books, other builds, and some pics on the net.

pit-start_zps9ace708d.jpg

pit-start-9_zps1dbea10f.jpg

and some of the detail work.

pit-start-3_zpse1353001.jpg

pit-start-8_zpsef11348a.jpg

pit-start-2_zps28a81024.jpg

pit-start-4_zps6aa00015.jpg

pit-start-5_zpsa4f41a25.jpg

pit-start-6_zpsf1876364.jpg

pit-start-7_zpsef8a2920.jpg

i need to know what you think. how did i do?

comments and criticism encouraged.

joe

Re: how about a revell p-51d in 1/48

Very Nice! I'm about 90% done with mine as a out of box build. I can't wait to see yours finished!

I love that kit!

can't wait to see more, I like what you are doing with it.

well ............well................. well.

first the good stuff. i worked on some pieces for the pit.

pieces-1_zpse614b93b.jpg

pieces-2_zps1207eb96.jpg

pieces-3_zps6129216c.jpg

as you can see there are assorted thingamajigs and doodads. also 3 radios, a throttle, etc.

now i also fabricated two oxgen hoses.

interior-2_zpse1825a96.jpg

interior-1_zps0e934a9b.jpg

interior-4_zps5d1e55ed.jpg

interior-3_zpsebd1196e.jpg

wait they dont look right. well yeah but they look closer than i have ever done in the past.

with paint they will look much better. (i hope)

now just to show that some of what i did fits.

pit-2_zpsffef3903.jpg

pit-1_zpsd481c86e.jpg

of course i had to play a bit with the seat, there appears to be two springs that attached to the seat as well as the rudder pedals.

pit-3_zps795cbe87.jpg

pit-4_zps5a5d576e.jpg

up next will be to finish off the seat, the pit floor, the rudder pedals, etc.

now the bad. very very little of this will be seen in the end. oh well i will know it is there.

opinions? criticism? comments?

joe

Re: how about a revell p-51d in 1/48 update 9/23

i am not happy with the look. i have taken this apart and will be reworking this. it did not look right.

stay tuned .................

joe

well now it is time for some blunt responses.

i want to know what you think of the seat and frame. i tried to replicate what i had seen in some photos. the belts are miliputty. i am not good at the buckles nor the latches so i tried to hide them.

seat-2.jpg

seat-3.jpg

seat-1.jpg

and more of what the normal look would be.

seat-4.jpg

and here is the bad of the post. after four days of repeated attempts i am no closer to a decent port fuse wall than i was the last time i posted. i did add a few bits and pieces but to be honest i cannot get the look i want. my meager attempts are not even coming close. i cannot get the switches to look right and i have no stencils or placecards.

2nd-try-2.jpg

2nd-try-1.jpg

now please give it to me strait on the seat and frame. does it look any better? worse?

joe

looks better than anything I could do!
good job!

Re: how about a revell p-51d in 1/48 well an update

chris thank you.

not wanting to give up on this here are some other pics to show the pit in place.

yesno5.jpg

yesno4.jpg

yesno3.jpg

yesno2.jpg

yesno1.jpg

in these the detail does not look as bad but it still looks off to me. mostly the switches. i started out using fine wire and that seemed too large, i went to .........well hair, that was much too thin, then i went with stretched sprue. still too thin. i think i will need to play a bit more with the thickness of the sprue. i can live with the belts. they are too thick and just a bit too wide but they are better than what i have done in the past. i had to rework the frame that holds the radio equipment, the fuse was not closing right. i reworked it and i think it looks better now. i did scratch the pedals, the kits that i have been using didnt have the pedals or the ip. the ip is reborn from an earlier build.

my biggest problem with it is my attempt is no where near where i see it in my mind. i know i can do this, i just cannot get my work to match what i see in my mind.

joe

I think you're doing fine Joe, I like what I see. You're your own worse critic so you'll find how to solve those problems. I don't see them as problems, I think you've done a fair representation of what's in the cockpit. :popcorn

mp and james thanks.

you know it is people like chuck that make this hobby so much harder. his incredible talent and eye for detail gives the less talented and those who are like me the illusion that we can do that kind of stuff as well.

yeah thats my argument. yeah.

joe

I think you are off to a great start Joe. Remember Rome wasn't built in a day. Heck you have done things with that cockpit I have never even tried before.

nerdling thank you.

well folks here is where i am at. i have done about as much as my skills (or lack thereof) will allow. these are the last pics of the interior before i button it up.

close-it-up-2.jpg

close-it-up-1.jpg

now this is where i take a step away from my normal. you have seen my attempt to do belts with the milliput, not the greatest. when i started playing with the milliput i did for the express reason i wanted to try something seen on squadron.com. i wanted to do up the wheel wells with assorted lines and such. here is the result.

wheel-wells-3.jpg

wheel-wells-2.jpg

wheel-wells-1.jpg

comments and criticism encouraged.

joe

Re: how about a revell p-51d in 1/48 update 10/01

Mate,that is lookin impressive.A+ result's don't happen overnight but that is a A for sure. (y) (y)

Back