• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Help painting leather

Gator

Hey guys. I'm trying to get this 1/16 Manfred von Richthofen finished for my model club meeting Thursday. This is where I stand after working on it yesterday. when it comes to painting leather, do I dull coat it or use a satin finish. Normally I would dull coat, but with this much leather showing, I'm not sure.

Manfred.jpg

Thanks!

Hey Gator ,

Is th Baron going to have a Black Leather Jacket ? You could try this ...

1) For shadows - Try to use a glaze or a wash & in th deep crevices use a Violet - very subtle
2) As a Highlight try to use a Prussian BLue( Royal Blue) - Again Very subtle
3) Show a little wear with a mix of Beige & a Very light grey , not mixed together , but to show stages of wear around th elbows, cuffs , any where the Jacket would get rubbed getting in & out of the Plane etc. .....
4) I would go with a satin finish. As leather has a natural sheen any way.

- Dry brush 1st. with th Royal Blue( Prussian Blue - vallejo ) - very lightly
- Wash -in or Glaze-in the Violet for the shadows

HTH

Yes, it is a black leather jacket. Would you paint the jacket black or a almost black gray?

Use the black black for the very deepest creases

However what paints will you be using to complete this Gator ?

GATOR,

I too would go with a Black as a Base coat. I would then dry brush with th prussian Blue as a highlight (very lightly you don't want a stark contrast between th Blue & Black just enough to catch your Eye) & wash th Violet ( same with th Violet) into th deep crevices for th shadows. & Then come back with German Camo Beige & Black Grey to show wear on th Leather . ( IMHO)

:erik

Back