• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Help on Hairspray weathering

rigger

Hello all;

I did a Wespe in Panzer gray Tamiya paint, let it dry for a day. Then Tamiya gloss coat, dry for 6 hr. Then Hairspray, dry for 1 hr. Then Tamiya flat White, dry for 4 hr.

When I brushed the White with warm water it did not take the white off, lot of scubbing. And when it did it took all the paint off ( down to plastic ) Did I let the white dry too long ? Are my drying times between coats off?

Thanks Rigger .............

Yep, I think you let the white paint dry too long.
When I tried it, I washed the paint off almost immediately. I'm sorry, but I don't know how to correct it, other than re-painting and trying it, again.

RIGGER,

Are you in the U.S. ? If you are , it could be the Hairspray that you are using.I have a friend that uses Tres Summe.He Decants it into a Jar and Airbrushed it on & let it dry for 24 hours. He came back with warm water & really didn't have to scrub th paint at all ! It came out looking fantastic ! You may also want to try to shoot a coat of Testors Dulcote over the Base coat. To protect it from it( warm water) taking it down to the Plastic ? If you choose to shoot Dulcote on it , let that dry for 24 hours as well to help eliminate the cloudy effect.

I'm getting ready to try it on a Jagd-Panther. I'll post it Here as well as the WIP ! It's got a load of P.E. & the Jagd-Panther will be from the 654th in the Area of the Ardennes !! As there were No Jagd-Panthers in the Ardennes , but on the Fringe protecting Their Flanks.

Stay Tuned !

ERIK

Thank Guys;

I love this site. Yes I live in the US . I used Aqua Net Extra Super Hold # 3. Thanks for great insight. I will try both .

Thanks Rigger .

The gloss coat maybe ? Perhapes the gloss coat only drying for 6hrs may have something to do with it ?

Can I ask what or why you wanted to put the glosscoat on over the grey before the hairspray and white ?

Not a critisism at all, just wondering :)

Rigger,
Here's a few pics showing how mine came out. I was pleased with the results. However, I don't have a final pic, which shows that I lost a great deal of the whitewash during the final weathering process, but I wanted to depict a scene showing that the vehicle had already gone through a winter and was now plodding it's way through a very muddy, yet cold spring.
IMG_0286.jpg

IMG_0314.jpg

IMG_0305.jpg

IMG_0300.jpg

IMG_0303.jpg

RANDY,

That's really Nice. Who all is in Your Cast of Characters? Who manufactures the Figures ?

ANDY - You wanna seal the Base coat before you put the Hairspray on & the White. When you add the Water it soaks through the Acrylic White & dissolves the Hairspray , thus giving way to the Chipped effect that the White Wash leaves behind. But you Don't wanna eat all th way through the Base Coat.

Also ANDY this Hairspray Method Only works With Acrylic paint. You could Use Enamel as a Base Coat Only ( thus skipping the Dulcote ,as you are trying to protect the Acrylic base coat)

ERIK

rigger wrote:
Thank Guys;

I love this site. Yes I live in the US . I used Aqua Net Extra Super Hold # 3. Thanks for great insight. I will try both .

Thanks Rigger .

RIGGER,

I bet th Aqua Net X-tra hold is the Culprit in Why It didn't come off easily ! I'll bet Money on it ! (y)

Hi Panzer

Thanks mate, great info there, but I was wondering why a gloss coat and not a flat coat and is there any benefits in doing so or doesnt it really matter ?

andyfettes wrote:
Hi Panzer

Thanks mate, great info there, but I was wondering why a gloss coat and not a flat coat and is there any benefits in doing so or doesnt it really matter ?

ANDY,

Not sure maybe it was personal preference ?? I don't really think there are any benefits to doing it either way. Although I like the Idea of shooting down some Dulcote on the model to protect the base coat, or Either shooting the Base Coat in Enamels. Personally I like to shoot with Acrylic & seal with Dulcote, but that's just me.

ERIK

JSteinman wrote:
Did you read this?

Click on me!

JOHN,

Cool how to.I'm sure coming back & stippling the White does help to enhance the color. Would you recommend a stipple as opposed to just brushing it on ? Does brushing it on tend to remove more of the White Wash ?

ERIK

To get the desired effects, brushing is not recommended. Think of Pixels on a computer screen, this is what you are replicating.

Also I do not seal the base color, I'm not sure why you guys are doing this, I see no benefit.

Hey Guys;

No I had not seen that Hairspray page. I did look at another one.

I got new Firm hold Hairspray, and will try all ideas on Test subjects.

Thanks Rigger.....

To get the desired effects, brushing is not recommended. Think of Pixels on a computer screen, this is what you are replicating.

Also I do not seal the base color, I'm not sure why you guys are doing this, I see no benefit.

Dunno :hmmm perhapes too much scrubbing removed the basecoat ?

As my good friend Andy would say, the blokes on the back are from Tristar. They're the German Panzer Grenadiers Vol. 1 and Vol. 2.
The crew is a combination of Tank and Verlinden. The chap next to the commander is from Verlinden and the rest are from Tank.
Randy

Well guys I am trying to talk Mr Hairspray himself , Phil Stutcinskas to do a full masterclass on the techanique sooo please bare with me to get this organised ;) .

Jenny :kiss:

Back