• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

He-162 1/48th scale

centaur567

100_7323.JPG
100_7326.JPG

While waiting for the weather to clear up in order to paint the Ta-152 and the Bf-109G-6 and the fact that I made up a large batch of RLM 66. I decided to start DML's
1/48th scale He-162 because of it's mostly common colors. It looks like a fairly detailed kit. It is originally from the TriMaster molds. Gary S.

Off to a good start. Love late War luft stuff..makes one wonder what could have been.

100_7326.JPG

Off to a good start.
100_7327.JPG

Nicely detailed main gear. Some parts need a lot of dry fitting and trimming.
100_7328.JPG

More parts assembled.
100_7329.JPG
100_7330.JPG

Cockpit and engine are painted.

100_7335.JPG
2022-02-11_203007.JPG
100_7339.JPG

The photo etched instrument panel left a lot to be desired, so I modified an extra one from the Bf-109G6 kit. Also had to add weight to the nose.
Thanks for looking. Gary S.

Thanks!! Yes!! I had to remove it and replace it with a smaller one in order to make room for the nose wheel strut. Gary S.

Here is a video where they are testing the landing gear retracts on a 162 that is being restored. I found this several years ago and it is quite fascinating.

100_7342.JPG

Thanks!! Great video. Redid the nose weights in order to make room for the nose gear.

100_7343.JPG
100_7345.JPG

Some serious clamping needed. The main gear bay was a little too wide and filler was needed,
100_7344.JPG

Dry fitting of the engine and wings. The rt. wing fits well while the lt. wing droops some as they usually do. Thanks,
Gary S.

Is this He-162 going to be made airworthy ? Gary S.
I suspect it is a full restoration to near airworthy. The wood that the plane is made out of is not up for flight plus it is a rare bird. I also saw a video someplace where the tested the jet engine tail cone moving in and out as it would with the engine running and thrust being varied.

Even if it won't ever be flown, it is still interesting to see it all work.

100_7350.JPG
100_7351.JPG
100_7352.JPG

Just to see the mechanisms is amazing. Even if it's never flown, just to know it works is a major feet of engineering. I heard on another video that the main gear came from Bf-109 and that the nose wheel was from the tail wheel of a Ju-88. Anyway back to the model.
The cockpit is done except for the gun sight. It flew off into never never land and I have to make one. The wings are on too. Gary S.

The restoration video is of the aircraft on static display at Le Bourget and NASM has one in the US.

Nicely done Gary.

Regards,

Back