• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Hasegawa 1/72 Ki-67 Hiryu ("Peggy") - an attempt..

Flyingbabydoc

Hello all,

Once again thanks for such a warm welcome.

As I mentioned, here is my WIP on the Hiryu 1/72. I have finished the two sets of PE from Eduard and now I am getting ready to finish the partial assembly. Then it is on to painting (a reminder: no airbrushes for me, unfortunately... :( ).

I am usually pretty good until this part. This is when I start screwing up, so here is my first question for all of you masters out there: I normally paint the inside and detail it as much as I can. I then try to highlight the shades and different angles by spraying Top Coat flat from Gunze and then applying a wash of Xtracolor Thinner + black paint. This was the only way I could get the effect without losing the details or the primary color. What are your suggestions? Do you have a better way? Again, please no airbrush.

Thanks a lot for your input.

Cheers

Alex

Mid-Fuselage with scratch-made Oxygen bottles

h8127c65.JPG

Cockpit front with navigator seat

h9af4f8a.JPG

Nose-superstructure (what a pain to assemble)

hebc1cb5.JPG

Cockpit forward

h5c51340.JPG

Instrument Panel

h11d0315.JPG

Navigator work area with radio

hfe22898.JPG

Fine work. Odd top see you applying the Eduard Zoom stuff before having the rest of it painted but if you're brush painting you shouldn't have a problem. I'm certainly no master but one thing to remember about the washes. Use alternating mediums of paint. Like if you use an acrylic base coat, use enamel wash, otherwise the enamel will eat at the acrylic base.

Thanks. That is one of the (only) perks of working with brushes. I can work around the PE better, and there are no glue marks after I am done. This part I have down pretty ok IMHO.

I tried acryl-Thinner with paint over Enamel and it didn't work. :pinch: Maybe I will experiment some more, and try different dilutions (if it works for my antibodies in the lab, why not for the models?) :hmmm

Cheers

Alex

Looking very good Doc .... I can't give you advice on painting as sounds like your already there ... on whats going on ... I'm a brush painter also ... seems easier since I discovered acrylic paint ... I never liked enamel ... Here in Texas the Humidity is so hard to predict ... that paint is hard to get to dry sometimes esp. enamel ... :soldier :pilot (y)

Looks ghod. The PE really adds to it. As for the coloured PE, I add a lot of it to my models before painting also. Then tape over it. As you saif it covers the glue and also the bare metal edges.
James

Looks ghod. The PE really adds to it. As for the coloured PE, I add a lot of it to my models before painting also. Then tape over it. As you saif it covers the glue and also the bare metal edges.
James

didn't think about that. Good going. :soldier

I do have a lot of suggestions for you but I could do better if we could discuss it and be aware of what works for you or bother's you .

Cheers, Christian B)

Hi everyone

Many thanks for the suggestions and comments. As I was telling Christian, I am able to use the Gunze Top Flat on a 2-second burst on a fully ventilated room while holding my breath and wearing a mask. :blink Otherwise that is it for me. I have tried several masks for airbrushing, the particles just remain in suspension for too long.

As for the kit, I will finish assembly it this week and start the interior painting.

Thanks again and cheers

Alex

I think I'm like you Doc ... seems gunze makes me kinda quezzy, So I try to avoid it ... now good info here on the Zoom I was just looking at some that I have to put on ... Still looking very good Alex ... :popcorn :pilot

Thanks again all,

I am going to try mixing things a bit: I paint with Enamel, now I will try to highlight with Dust weathering powder dilutes in an acrylic solvent. I will of course attempt it somewhere else before!

Small update: here is the Hiryu ready from initial assembly and waiting the interior painting (might be a while though... full case load in the next few days).

Cheers everyone

Alex

hd05c83e.JPG

h9d1dc07.JPG

h9713acc.JPG

h97f83ee.JPG

Hello All,

I hope you have had a good weekend.

I got some work on the Ki-67 done, the initial painting is ready and now I will try the post-shading using acrylic thinner with "black dust". Let's see how it turns out (thanks for the suggestions Christian).

I am also going to cut some access panels to the fuselage and in the cockpit, as shown in this picture from 1945.

Cheers

Alex

Ki-67 Hiryu @ Kyushu Island, 1945
hec104a7.JPG

Details of the internal painting (Enamel Whiteensignmodels)
h718951a.JPG

hcbc045f.JPG

hfc67994.JPG

h3589653.JPG

h110f93d.JPG

Back