• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

G4M1 Betty, 1/48 Tamiya

Completely agree, Gary, building a kit just for the pure joy of it... ain't nothing better :good:

Ian.

The big girl is ready for paint. I'm forgoing my usual primer and go straight to Alclad as I'm sure it will show up any defects. Only the bottom will remain NMF but I need the aluminum undercoat for chipping. I'm trying a color I haven't used before, semi matte aluminum. I used their matte aluminum on my A-36 build a few years back and it looked too much like gray paint to me, I'm hoping this will have a bit more of a metallic look without being shiny. I would expect aluminum to dull rather quickly in the Pacific area. The wings are just pressed on for the photo and not yet pinned. I may remove them for painting. The fit is just amazing.

g4m1-b06.jpg

Dave, both the nose and tail cones were left off because of the guns. I know there are several ways to deal with that issue and this is the way I chose to do it, not saying it's better, just my way.

That is really a big girl... I am not sure I could handle her... ;)

Excellent job so far, looking forward to your progress.

Cheers

Alex

Primary colors on, gear has been installed to prevent me from breaking off the gear doors for the dozenth time. I used White Ensign Colors which are supposed to fairly accurate but the brown looks a bit too light to me so I will probably try to darken it up a bit in the weathering process. The national markings are painted on as is the fuselage stripe. The only decals to be used will be the tail markings and builders plate.

g4m1-b07.jpg

Hard to say exactly about the paint since there are so many opinions floating around but the beige looks a bit anemic to my eyes.
It looks like it would benefit with a drop of Khaki in the mixture :idonno

Cheers, Christian B)

Very nice Job!

Christian, I would think that with the weathering that Kaki will look darker. Still These birds were left on the pacific sun - the colours would tend to fade away anyways! Just my 2 Cents.

Cheers

Alex

Very nice Job!

Christian, I would think that with the weathering that Kaki will look darker. Still These birds were left on the pacific sun - the colours would tend to fade away anyways! Just my 2 Cents.

Cheers

Alex

Hard to say for sure Alex . People's opinions as to what the right colors were have changed so much over the years .

Two things have emerged over the years is that first of all, they did not get a primmer coat ( allegedly ) which is the biggest reason for the shedding of paint .

Also, their operational life was very short and were replaced regularly .

Unfortunately , the last of my reading concernes the latter models which were painted dark green or top green & lower black .

Truly hard call since there is a lack of artifacts and I do not do real paint research .

Cheers, Christian B)

Looks really good to me. I did an IPMS/USA review on this kit when it first came out eons ago. I've always thought it was a cool plane to have. Gary :eek:ldguy

OK, got this big girl done...

g4m1-b08.jpg

g4m1-b09.jpg

g4m1-b10.jpg

g4m1-b11.jpg

g4m1-b12.jpg

g4m1-b13.jpg

g4m1-b14.jpg

g4m1-b15.jpg

g4m1-b16.jpg

A most enjoyable build, best kit I've built since the Revell Ju 52. I could have done more paint peeling and fading but the kit represents an aircraft from December of 1941 so early on I'm assuming it hadn't gotten too beat up yet.

Thanks for looking !

Back