• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Fw190A-5 JG54 * * F I N I S H E D * * (More pics)

ij001

And off we go...

First the obligatory date-stamp pic, followed by:

Decals will be a mix of both of these - hope the Jurassic era Microscale sheet holds together :pinch: That's not the full Eduard etch set, it's the Zoom Set, because I LOVE 190's I'm really going to make the effort with this one.

How much do I like the 190 did you ask ??

Well over the years I've invested in a few references. NOT in the photo - 'cos I forgot I had them 'till I started typing this :gogo , are the two new (and superb) Kagero books (the ones with the decal sheets).

Don't know when I'll be making a start - the Bf109 is fighting me pretty hard just now so a side-by-side build is unlikely. Thanks as ever, for taking the time to look. More anon.

Ian

Fw190A-5 JG54

Wooohooo!!! :ro: I Love Fw-190! Great, this will be a pleasure to watch! :popcorn

All the best!
Dusan.

Fw190A-5 JG54

Really looking forward to this one Ian, now you can show how well the Revolution BR performs doing these type of paint schemes. (y)

Matrixone

Fw190A-5 JG54

Really looking forward to this one Ian, now you can show how well the Revolution BR performs doing these type of paint schemes.

Matrixone

I'll try not to let you down, Les.... no pressure then :unsure:

Ian

Fw190A-5 JG54

So in between my 'House Elf' duties this morning, I started 'fiddling' with some bits and pieces. Separated the elevators from the stab's and the rudder from the fin so I can re-position them, filled the unnecessary access panel below the cockpit on the right side, and worked out that you can build an (almost) 100% accurate A-6 from what you get in the box - the outboard cannons are provided, together with the (ugly) upper wing breach covers and correct lower wing insert. In fact the only thing missing to make a 100% accurate A-6 is a DF loop for the underside !!

I can already tell that, in terms of ease of fit, the Hasegawa 190A is leaps-and-bounds ahead of the Eduard 109E :idonno

Ahh well let's see what tomorrow's session at the bench brings - if anything.

More soon.

Ian

ps
If anyone has a Hasegawa 1:32 A-8 that they'd like to sell me..... (y)

Fw190A-5 JG54

Lots of progress over the last couple of days:

Seat - Just drybrushed

Then the basic red-brown (looks like the flash failed :bang head ).

Then drybrushed with a little yellow oil paint added to the basic colour

Stay tuned, more in a minute.

Ian

Fw190A-5 JG54 - 'Pit & Fuselage progress

...I've always been quite good at drybrushing and painting IP's, but there is a limit, even with Hasegawa's excellent molding, there's no way I can get close to what Eduard can achieve with their pre-painted etch sets. Here they are side by side...

I quickly and carefully drybrushed the kit part to emphasise the point I'm trying to make...

...and, of course, to justify to m'self spending-out on even more of Eduards' products !! :coolio - so here's what it all looks like when you stick it onto/into your model:

Not too shabby, if I may so so m'self. What did scare the poo out of me was how to ensure that the wafer thin etched IP stayed attached to the side panel inserts of the kit 'tub. Then I hit upon making some 'blocks' out of plastic card and CA'ing them in behind the panel.

That worked nicely !!

Ian

Now all I had to do was persuade the whole lot to move in between the fuselage halves without self-destructing. Well for the most part I succeeded. I manged to lose one small item to Boris the Carpet Monster, and I needed to trim a little less than 1mm off the very top of the IP to get it to sit neatly under the combing but that was all...

...Ta-daaaa !!

All joined together and looking OK at this point. I knew that the whole 'pit wouldn't be too visible, but I know it's done !!

Finally in this update (who said "at last" ?? ;) ), I mentioned earlier that I'd separated the elevators and rudder. The gaps in the stabilisers have been filled, and the fin has been stuffed with plastic card ready for filling aswell:

Next post will be the wheel bays and undercarriage - I plan on adding the brake lines which were fairly prominent on 190's - and hopefully the wings, elevators and cowl. Thanks as ever for taking the time to look and/or comment. More later in the week.

Ian

I agree with you Ian - nothing beats those Ed colour pits, i now never build a plane without them. Yours is looking the business for sure.

Watch & Learn :popcorn

Never ever been good at airplanes - my biggest problem is getting rid of the joining lines - fill, sand, rinse, repeat. Never had the right materials either but that sounds like a cheap excuse.

I'll keep watching and see what I really have to do to achieve a worthy result.

Focke-Wulf on Ian, great job so far :drinks

:bang head B*gg*r !!

Had a few minutes this morning, so 'washed' the wheel well, flaps, landing gear etc. Then set-to to add the brake lines. Got the holes drilled the fuse wire cut and bent into position and then...

...No CA glue !! - Bl**dy stuff had dried rock-hard in the tube (air must have gotten in). B*gg*r :bang head

Ahh well, have to go past the supermarket on the way to collect 'Daddy's little Stormtroopers' from school later this afternoon.

Stay tuned, I may be get some time this evening.

Ian

Back