• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Franz von Werra's Bf109 E4

Pretty hard to get a smooth machined surface without automatic feed. I cut a special tool for the finish pass that is flat against the work.

John, I had a great finish, there were just had no good dimensions to go by. I basically redid the kit barrels which were wrong. Was going to make some more and thought to look and see what the MM aftermarket had. As I have several kits and they were about $7 each I stocked up for all the builds.

Warren, you should check out his video on the Bf109E and the Me262! They are in the Deutch museum and are just as detailed as the 108 video. While he wasn't allowed to sit in the museum planes they did open the canopies and allow him to stand on the wing and video the entire interior with explanations.

To start off the 4th, here is an update with a little extra bonus.

Von Werra-Bf109E4-44.jpg

Von Werra-Bf109E4-45.jpg

Von Werra-Bf109E4-46.jpg

Von Werra-Bf109E4-47.jpg

MR1.jpg

Today I am going to cast a new plug. The Master fits the model perfectly. Hopefully the casting will do the same. I hope to get the handful of castings I need. Might be able to make a couple more if someone wants or needs one.

Time for another update. It is moving along steadily. I keep running into little problems and have to deal with them. Good thing is they are'nt deal breakers and I am getting better at doing quick redo on parts.

Here we go!

Von Werra-Bf109E4-48.jpg

Von Werra-Bf109E4-49.jpg

Von Werra-Bf109E4-50.jpg

Von Werra-Bf109E4-51.jpg

Von Werra-Bf109E4-52.jpg

Von Werra-Bf109E4-53.jpg

Von Werra-Bf109E4-54.jpg

Von Werra-Bf109E4-55.jpg

Von Werra-Bf109E4-56.jpg

Von Werra-Bf109E4-57.jpg

Von Werra-Bf109E4-58.jpg

Von Werra-Bf109E4-59.jpg

Von Werra-Bf109E4-60.jpg

While this build is having it's problems, it is nothing like I have had on other builds. It is coming along well and I hope to get it to a paint point soon.

Here is another small installment.

Von Werra-Bf109E4-61.jpg

Von Werra-Bf109E4-62.jpg

Von Werra-Bf109E4-63.jpg

Von Werra-Bf109E4-64.jpg

Von Werra-Bf109E4-65.jpg

Von Werra-Bf109E4-66.jpg

Von Werra-Bf109E4-67.jpg

I have found that if the fit can be made fairly close with everything level but just a little gap, it can be filled with my CA mix and requires a minimal cleanup. Without the spar that was added the wing roots would have been horrible. With the spar built in they had a gap equivalent to a panel line. Easy peasy.

Paul, the trim thing driven by a chain is probably an indicator showing the actual position of the trim tab. Taking off with the wrong trim setting can be a serious problem.

Thanks for looking in and posting John!

I learned about the indicator when I found a video on the Bf-108. The 108 actually has two indicators, there are two wheels there, flaps and elevator trim, the 109 only has the flap indicator. Until I found that though there wasn't anything in the instructions showing the chain going to that. Lots of little things on this kit that need addressing to get it right.

Here we go with another update. The fit on the parts is fairly good. The complexity of the kit and number of parts and how they assemble means a lot of fit work. It you take the time and have the patience it seems to go fairly well though. There are just a handful of little green filler spots that you will see in the photos. With a little patience it is that good.
Here is the progress so far...

Von Werra-Bf109E4-68.jpg

Von Werra-Bf109E4-69.jpg

Von Werra-Bf109E4-70.jpg

Von Werra-Bf109E4-71.jpg

Von Werra-Bf109E4-72.jpg

Von Werra-Bf109E4-73.jpg

Von Werra-Bf109E4-74.jpg

The radiator stuff is kind of bugging me as it is just that far off. I think it can be corrected by carving the hole larger and slightly rounding the corners more. We shall see.

Paddy, thanks for looking in and posting, it is much appreciated.

Bob, you are probably quite right there. I have been looking at the photos and the parts for a while and the parts just look wrong. I already have the machine gun cover off (though for another reason). It will get fixed and the control surfaces are ready for sanding and clean up.

Thanks Mark! It isn't much big stuff that needs work, just a lot of little things and some attention to the details.

Looking great and lots of neat fixes. I havent built a 109 in years so will need a lot of research and you're filling in the blanks. Kep on keeping on :)
James

Gary, thanks for looking in!

James, I have 10 more of this kit in various versions and three are going to be modded to real early ones so it is worth the time to do the research and find the flaws. The others should build much faster and easier. One of those is going to be wide open with everything open and loose. That will be somewhat challenging, but baby steps first.

WHAAaaat? Are you putting all that stuff in the box together?!?! MADNESS!!
I like what you did with Franz' airplane! Keep it up!

Taking notes here, Paul. Thanks for the spar diagram back there, I have one of these kits in the pile. I wonder if the clear resin might shrink more than faster curing resins. In thick pours it seems like there is always some shrinkage, but I wouldn't know how to deal with it other than trial and error.

Taking notes here, Paul. Thanks for the spar diagram back there, I have one of these kits in the pile. I wonder if the clear resin might shrink more than faster curing resins. In thick pours it seems like there is always some shrinkage, but I wouldn't know how to deal with it other than trial and error.

Hey John! The resin engine part is just a plug and is mainly attached up front. Other than the prop and for show, it doesn't do much. The spar for the wing I cut from 3/32 clear acrylic sheet (from Lowes) It is a little stronger than styrene, and the spar made a BIG difference when assembling the wing to the fuselage. A small amount of fit work and it needed almost no filler.

Back