• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Ferrari 312T

Something i am finding with cars is, most of the after market is for motorcycles, ie: the huge 1/12 Tamiya motorcycle range and these parts are sold as 1/12. fair enough but stuff for cars is much bigger so for example banjo bolts and bleed nipples on a car are usually M10 or M12...but on a bike they are nearly always M6
So what i am getting at is 1/12 motorcycle parts are half the size of 1/12 car parts but they are all sold as just 1/12 in the genre
You see it especially with bolts which are sold as 1/12 :) be them 1mm or 10mm

Anyway these are the rear calipers, i doubt they will be seen but this as i said is a practice run for the Meng Maclaren where they will be seen.

_DSC0120.JPG

The banjo bolts and bleed nipples here are 0.5mm :)

Well the exhaust was a pleasant surprise. Everything was stacked against it TBH but the fit is very good . the problem is, if it is a problem, the 35 parts need to be assembled on the engine because the engine is the jig and once you have done that its very difficult to fill seams/joints and paint. Once again the pictures reveal some cleaning and filling will be needed

_DSC0137.JPG

_DSC0133.JPG

_DSC0132.JPG

I always thought these engines were part of the frame itself. Almost like it supports itself against the rest of the frame.
Lovely work Paddy!

So back to that cockpit tub......

_DSC0073.JPG

It is actually a welded and riveted Aluminium construction but how do you make it look like one ?

_DSC0148.JPG

well you can spray it with MRP white aluminium over white primer....and then it looks like it did before with silver paint on it :)
So back to the drawing board...

I think the best you can do with what is supposed to be sheet aluminum is to do a Chrome like finish them dull it down with various Alclad aluminum colors. Leaving the shiny or almost shiny finish in some areas and dulling down in other areas.

Thanks Paul
Its really difficult to photo chrome or polished alloy however i am really happy with this

_DSC0148.JPG

this MRP white aluminium

And this is above but with an application of MIG polished metal pigment which is a dry ultra fine powder that i suspect is Graphite ie: pencil lead.

_DSC0153.JPG

As i say its not 100% convincing in the picture but to the naked eye its darkened it in places and its added a sheen. You can see this in the seat well sides , it just doesnt show on the rest of the picture but its there......Its also added contrast between panels which helps

Front suspension was a bit of a nightmare as me being me didnt read the instructions :) Who knew there were so many ways of putting it together ?
Glad i decided to do a practice run before the Meng Maclaren as i ordered a few parts from spot model and i am finding them quite difficult to use specially the zip ties from hiro , cant work them out at all..

_DSC0172.JPG
_DSC0173.JPG

not really sure how far to go with this? You reach a stage where you start covering up all the work you have done :)
Anyway i decided it needs a rear wing while i wait for some seat belts which Tamiya never included in these early kits

_DSC0179.JPG

One good thing about building something you wouldn't normally build is you learn lots about the subject....,like the support for the rear wing has an oil cooler inside as well as forming the battery mount.

_DSC0180.JPG

the oil cooler has straight outlets which means the pipes would come out at 90 degree to the fin so i swapped these for resin right angle unions

_DSC0182.JPG

Whatever you do the join above the battery is a disaster as the battery frame is wider than the fin.. The rest of the sides of the fin meet up fine all round the edges except this small front section.

The answer was to get my trusty alloy sheet out and cut a replacement section

_DSC0184.JPG

finished job

_DSC0187.JPG

And the other side with the angled oil cooler unions

_DSC0189.JPG

Back