• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

F86-F Sabre "The Huff" Completed.

F86-F Sabre "The Huff"

Y'all have bowling shirts down under right?

Not me, dunno 'bout our Phil :idonno

Nope!

An MA shirt would go down a treat though!

Okay, here we go....

These Cartograph decals are the ant's pants, beautiful to work with

DSC_0651h.jpg~original

That fuselage band was so tough to line up, and having to join it underneath was a pain, a little trim and some semi gloss Tamiya black
tidied it up.

DSC_0646h.jpg~original

DSC_0653h.jpg~original

Humbrol 69 gloss yellow is a close match for the decal yellow, trimmed the 'lightning bolt' on the tanks as per the real ''Huff"
DSC_0655h1.jpg~original

I tidied up that horid seam but then created another prob for myself :facepalm but that will do
DSC_0656h1.jpg~original

DSC_0657h1.jpg~original

more to come soon, one thing about these decals is the words on stencils are readable, very nice work from Cartograph Italy.

and I have to repaint the tyres again........

Hey Bob, this old movie was on one of our TV stations some days ago,

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0046262/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

and in one scene it clearly showed a sabre dropping the whole package - pylon attached to the tank leaving a clean wing. (y)

Nice work so far Phil :pilot

I had no idea the pylon went with the tank, I know on the Fighters I was trained for (F4, F15, F16) the pylons were attached to the wings and only the package jettisoned. Chris you got any info on this?

F86-F Sabre "The Huff"

Yes Ian, that is a better movie, damn haven't seen that one for many many moons! ( downloading the torrent file now!!!)

Bob, I'm only going by what I can find, photos - either show Sabres with tanks/pylons or nothing at all, that old movie is the only footage I have found showing that lovely lady dropping them.

I did PM Chris, he is trying to get the info on this mystery

And - thankyou all , I am liking this build!

more decals on tonight, more pics ;ater

:drinks

I just had to post this vid!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7VYrhfDJeQ

F86-F Sabre "The Huff"

Okay I could be right out to lunch, but pylons could can be removed depending on the mission. Otherwise they are bolted on. They have cads to "kick" the store out from the boundry layer of the wing. Before cads they were spring loaded (the T-33 tip tanks are spring loaded). I dont believe I have ever sen anyone jettison the whole shebang except in movies.
I did find this though which proves I dont know everything. From google books:

jett.jpg

Look down at the External Stores Jettison from this F-84 Pilots manual.hth
James

F86-F Sabre "The Huff"

Thanks Tony - Those decals take most of the credit - just lovely to work with

Thanks James - would that article be the same for the F86-F, it does state F-84 - or have I had too many imported Becks tonight!

F86-F Sabre "The Huff"

It is for the F-84, but same time frame so I would be confident that early Sabres probably also did the same.
JAmes

F86-F Sabre "The Huff"

Early Sabres - had extending leading edge slats like most Me birds, a later wing package was developed which when fitted - without said leading edge slats - spelt the end of the Mig 15 dominance, no biggie on the pylons as I now have them fitted but can remove them for the clean wing look.

So marching onwards,

Some more decals on, these are so freaking good to apply I can't stop raving about them

DSC_0691d_2000.jpg~original

DSC_0692d2000.jpg~original

DSC_0694d2000.jpg~original

DSC_0697dx.jpg~original

DSC_0700dx.jpg~original

DSC_0702dx.jpg~original

DSC_0707d.jpg~original

DSC_0708dx.jpg~original

Checker tail decals getting very close now!

F86-F Sabre "The Huff"

Decals finished outside pics
DSC_0762o1.jpg~original

DSC_0763o1.jpg~original

DSC_0765o1.jpg~original

DSC_0766o1.jpg~original

DSC_0767o1.jpg~original

DSC_0769O2000.jpg~original

DSC_0772O2000.jpg~original

started to add the remaining parts - inside pics

DSC_0778i2000.jpg~original

DSC_0779I.jpg~original

DSC_0781I.jpg~original

DSC_0782i.jpg~original

DSC_0784i.jpg~original

DSC_0785I.jpg~original

DSC_0796I.jpg~original

F86-F Sabre "The Huff" Completed

Thanks all,

Worked on this over the two days and here she is all done.

DSC_0928F12000.jpg~original

DSC_0918f12000.jpg~original

DSC_0916f12000.jpg~original

DSC_0900f1.jpg~original

DSC_0927f1.jpg~original

DSC_0925f1.jpg~original

DSC_0924f1.jpg~original

DSC_0923f1.jpg~original

DSC_0922f1.jpg~original

DSC_0917f1.jpg~original

The last for 2013

F86-F Sabre "The Huff"

Hey Phil

Really envy that you can build a model like this and be able to resist the urge to weather it !! - That's the sort of self control I simply don't have. B) Looks absolutely beautiful :coolio , well done sir !!

Ian

Back