• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

F-15A 5th FIS * * D O N E * *

F-15A (Late) - 5th FIS

I hate to be a spoiler because it sure looks purdy to me but no matter how hard I look, I can't find any pictures to support that look.

I have never noticed any F-15's that looked like that on the flight line either.

Feel free to prove me wrong as I always enjoy learning something new .

Cheers, Christian B)

F-15A (Late) - 5th FIS

I hate to be a spoiler because it sure looks purdy to me but no matter how hard I look, I can't find any pictures to support that look.

I have never noticed any F-15's that looked like that on the flight line either.

Cheers, Christian B)

Chris the bottom side of the rear was bare metal wasn't it?

I recall seeing some heat effects on those panels but I wasn't around them much.

F-15A (Late) - 5th FIS

Yep fair point, however I think I'm 'in the ballpark'

hd86899e.jpg

h4988f34.jpg

h33a0280.jpg

hc15b29e.jpg

Love to get some more feedback, please keep the discussion going, chaps.

Ian.

F-15A (Late) - 5th FIS

I'm not sure if we're seeing the heat distortion or shades of the different metals, either way, I like what you've done Ian. :popcorn

F-15A (Late) - 5th FIS

Cheers, Christian B)

Chris the bottom side of the rear was bare metal wasn't it?

I recall seeing some heat effects on those panels but I wasn't around them much.

Yes it is bare metal and although I can remember some variations in the colors , I don't remember any heat discoloration.

I also remember in the early days, they had all the Turkey feather on them but they were pricey and refused to stay on, so they just took them all off.

The rear section is part of the fuselage, not an exhaust pipe . Lots of cooling air flowing between the two. I believe it's all Titanium like the blast panels on the Phantoms.

Cheers, Christian B)

F-15A (Late) - 5th FIS

Ready for 'stickers' !!

hc719859.jpg

hc50a39e.jpg

Humbrol Dark Compass Grey (128) and Xtracolour Light Compass Grey, sealed in with Johnsons Klear applied with a 'hairy stick'.

AFN

Ian.

F-15A (Late) - 5th FIS

Looking good . Good job on the Future . I think that is the perfect sheen for a newly painted F-15. (y) (y) (y)

Cheers, Christian B)

F-15A (Late) - 5th FIS

Ready for 'stickers' !!

Humbrol Dark Compass Grey (128) and Xtracolour Light Compass Grey, sealed in with Johnsons Klear applied with a 'hairy stick'.

AFN

Ian.

That looks fantastic! I had a horrible experience with Humbrol paint years ago (like 20+) and I've stupidly avoided them ever since. How did it spray, and what did you thin it with?

F-15A (Late) - 5th FIS

That looks fantastic! I had a horrible experience with Humbrol paint years ago (like 20+) and I've stupidly avoided them ever since. How did it spray, and what did you thin it with?

Humbrols & Xtracolours are my absolute favourites. I cut mine with either refined thinners (available from art-shops) or cellulose thinner, over here you can buy a 500ml drum for $15.00NZD and it will last two years easily.

I cut at 60/40 ratio paint-to-thinner, sprays like a dream. Humbrols, especially the newer formula tinlets mix very quickly and their colour-match are usually very good indeed in my experience, especially the RAF & modern US tones.

Ian.

Back