• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

F-15A 5th FIS * * D O N E * *

F-15A (Late) - 5th FIS

The decalling process has started, I decided to work on the kitchen table for a change as Frau has a super new magnifier lamp which is perfect for this session.

h1a567a6.jpg

So here's the two sheets I'll be using, both Microscale, the stencil sheet is VERY early, probably 1980ish (48--63), the F-15 ADC sheet (48-753) is later, sometime around the mid-late 1990's, and still behave perfectly.

ha6d4bad.jpg

h867954f.jpg

Surprisingly the aircraft specific decals comprise of just eight items, both fin decorations are one piece items :eek:hmy: there's two squadron/wing badges for the intake trunks, two name 'flashes' for each side of the windshield and two vertical aircraft numbers for the inside of the nose gear door and that's it !! - I used the stars'n bars and the armament block from the sheet as they were easy to access.

hf3f25fe.jpg

Stand-by more in a minute...

Ian.

F-15A (Late) - 5th FIS

Pop-quiz, who would like to guess how many individual decals are in this photo ??

h374c642.jpg

To decal the sirframe as it is in the photo above, took 50mins, to do the stabilisers took an hour and ten minutes... this is going to be a l-o-n-g process, I don't expect this to be done in less than a week.

Thanks for taking the time to look and/or comment, more soon... maybe :idonno

Ian.

F-15A (Late) - 5th FIS

Looking fine Ian!
All those stencils are giving me flashbacks to my Mig! :gogo I just broke it up into sections over a couple of weeks. Kept me from screwing anything up. And it helps to have something else to work on while the stickers dry! You know what to do. You'll get it whipped into shape!

F-15A (Late) - 5th FIS

So here we go with a sort-of 'non update'. Dragged the big Eagle back to the bench today and spent around 45mins putting (even) more stencils on. As this is written, I reckon I've got only just over half of them done.

The topside and starboard side are finished and I have around ten of the thirty-odd on to the port side and none at all on the underneath.

On and on it goes.... :gogo

Ian.

F-15A (Late) - 5th FIS

So here we go with a sort-of 'non update'. Dragged the big Eagle back to the bench today and spent around 45mins putting (even) more stencils on. As this is written, I reckon I've got only just over half of them done.

The topside and starboard side are finished and I have around ten of the thirty-odd on to the port side and none at all on the underneath.

On and on it goes.... :gogo

Ian.

Ahhh, my specialty : The non update :rotf

Those McDonnell Douglas folks sure like stencils :good: Made it easy to find everything without a manual .

Cheers, Christian B)

F-15A (Late) - 5th FIS

Port side stencils all finished now. Will start on the underside this week, but it's almost certainly going to take three sessions.

Stick with me.

Ian.

F-15A (Late) - 5th FIS

Well the fine & warm autumn (US = fall) weather has really broken today as a storm front arrives over the lower & middle of the North Island. All this means that 'de-camping' to the man-cave isn't feasible today, so when I finish my reports and other tasks, I'll be back to decalling this thing on the kitchen table.

The Messerschmitt is at a very convenient natural break - undercoated and curing - so why not.

Wish me luck, it's still painstakingly slow and tedious work, but will be worth it in the end.

AFN

Ian.

F-15A (Late) - 5th FIS

Great job on the stencils so far. Stay at it, you'll finish it soon.
Cool light, what is it and where did you get it?

Tim

F-15A (Late) - 5th FIS

After nine sessions and around ten-and-a-half hours 'work', all the stencils are now on. Sealed under a coat of Humbrol SatinCote - their spelling:

h70e67e8.JPG

h27bae37.JPG

hbf96459.JPG

h290c003.JPG

h7dd2f22.JPG

ha4f4d0c.JPG

Next I need to add the low light fluorescent strips under the cockpit, wingtips etc, then final assembly and we're done. Thanks for sticking with me through this l-o-n-g project.

AFN

Ian.

Back