• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Duke Maddog's CTA2 Launch: Ian's Choice: Y-wing

Okay, here's a small update on all the work I managed to get done on Friday and Saturday at Hobby Day. Hopefully I'll be able to improve on this during the week.

I painted and later dry brushed the cockpit of the Y-wing:

WIP_CTA_IansChoice_IV.jpg

Then I painted the pilot up. I didn't have any clear orange for the visor, so I painted it silver first; then while it was still wet, I painted over it with orange again. I think it actually looks fairly close!

WIP_CTA_IansChoice_V.jpg

His visor ain't gonna be seen that well anyway after the cockpit canopy gets closed over it...

Here you can see him sitting in the cockpit before I closed everything up:

WIP_CTA_IansChoice_VI.jpg

While that was all drying, I added the outer casing pieces to the round part of the 'wings':

WIP_CTA_IansChoice_VIII.jpg

WIP_CTA_IansChoice_IX.jpg

By this time the cockpit and pilot were dry enough for me to put them together and then complete the head of this ship:

WIP_CTA_IansChoice_VII.jpg

All that was left was to add the remaining parts of the tail and the landing gear, which I did. Here it is sitting on it's landing gear all completed and ready for paint:

WIP_CTA_IansChoice_X.jpg

WIP_CTA_IansChoice_XI.jpg

I hope Ian likes this one Kenny!

Okay, that's all I have for now. I hope you enjoyed this trip. Meanwhile, thanks for looking in; comments are welcome!

Thanks guys! I do hope to get some paint on it some time this week.

Kenny, I'm glad he likes it! Keep showing it to him!

Okay, now that I finally recovered from my cold, I felt it was time to paint this Y-wing I'm building for this Call to Arms campaign. First though, here's a shot of the cockpit after I gave it a wash before closing it up:

WIP_CTA_IansChoice_XII.jpg

Here it is after I shot the grey over it and painted the cockpit canopy intermediate blue:

WIP_CTA_IansChoice_XIII.jpg

It took awhile getting inside all those nooks and crannies. Now I just have to paint some details and then I can add the decals to this.

That's all I have so far. This one is coming along nicely so far. Stay tuned for more.

Okay, now that I finally recovered from my cold, I felt it was time to paint this Y-wing I'm building for this Call to Arms campaign. First though, here's a shot of the cockpit after I gave it a wash before closing it up:

WIP_CTA_IansChoice_XII.jpg

Here it is after I shot the grey over it and painted the cockpit canopy intermediate blue:

WIP_CTA_IansChoice_XIII.jpg

It took awhile getting inside all those nooks and crannies. Now I just have to paint some details and then I can add the decals to this.

That's all I have so far. This one is coming along nicely so far. Stay tuned for more.
I now have the theme from Star Wars stuck in my head and its all your FAULT Mark

Lovely work :popcorn

I really need to build one of the Fine Molds Star Wars kits. Excellent progress Mark.

Thanks for the great replies guys! My apologies for not responding sooner. For some reason I never got the E-mail notice that replies were made here.

Anyway, here's my latest progress. I wanted to try and experiment a bit on the Y-wing fighter. I added a black wash to it and later; when it was dry, I dry-brushed the raised details. I started in the cockpit dry-brushing in there, and then did the rest.

Here's the cockpit:

WIP_CTA_IansChoice_XIV.jpg

Most of that won't even be seen after the canopy goes on, but what the hey...

Here's the rest of it. I washed and dry-brushed only the main fuselage on this Y-wing so see how it would turn out. I'll let you guys decide how well I did:

WIP_CTA_IansChoice_XV.jpg

WIP_CTA_IansChoice_XVI.jpg

Next I hope to get the decals on this and then give it another wash again to bring out the details on the rest of it. I am so very close to getting this finished!

Stay tuned for more!

Back