• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Dr. Steinman's Stugs

Okay I am not an expert on Stugs, but I do have a lot of kits and books. While a Stug is a SPG it was a custom built vehicle based on the Pz III and IV chassis. It was meant as an Infantry support vehicle to give them an edge in combat. SPA types of SPGs were built to help facilitate the mobility of the field guns and then later versions were built for specialized tasks. The Sig 33 and Sturm Tigers etc were made to take out built up areas while giving some cover to the gunners. The Stug therefore is in a class of its own and although it evolved to do more it was still an infantry support vehicle.
Now having said all this I will again state I'm not an expert and what I wrote is my understanding of the subject.
Of course this is all a moot point as the guy in charge of the campaign is the one making the decision. So if he opens it up then that just means there are more subjects to choose from.

James

According to Tom Jentz' Panzer Tracts No. 8 - Sturmgeschuetz, the vehicles included the following:

Pz.Sfl.III (s.Pak)
Sd.Kfz.142 Ausf A-F/8
Sd.Kfz.142/1 Ausf G
Sd.Kfz 142/2 (Sturmhaubitze) Ausf G
Sd.Kfz.167 (Sturmkanone 40 (L/48))
Sturminfanteriegeschuetz 33
Sd.Kfz.166 Sturmhaubitze 43 Ausf I-1V
Sturmmoerser 606/4 mit 38cm Raketenwefer 61 (Sturm Tiger)

A nice broad range (and probably why John mentioned the s.I.G 33 variant)...

Regards,

According to Tom Jentz' Panzer Tracts No. 8 - Sturmgeschuetz, the vehicles included the following:

Pz.Sfl.III (s.Pak)
Sd.Kfz.142 Ausf A-F/8
Sd.Kfz.142/1 Ausf G
Sd.Kfz 142/2 (Sturmhaubitze) Ausf G
Sd.Kfz.167 (Sturmkanone 40 (L/48))
Sturminfanteriegeschuetz 33
Sd.Kfz.166 Sturmhaubitze 43 Ausf I-1V
Sturmmoerser 606/4 mit 38cm Raketenwefer 61 (Sturm Tiger)

A nice broad range (and probably why John mentioned the s.I.G 33 variant)...

Regards,

Thats probably where I got it from Saul, the 166 was the Brummbar.

I think I like this one for me. :good:

SIG.jpg

No fair, you got that dentist stuff to make snow...

does the tracks have those extenders on them? Seen them on the Shermans but not on German stuff before.

I am told I need to buy a specific kit to model them but it should be one of these!

StugAusfGOstfront19441.jpg

StugShark0AusfGOstfront1944.jpg

Stugshark1.jpg

StuGshark2.jpg

Before
Stugshark3.jpg

After
Stugshark4.jpg

Regards,

Now to figure out which StuG to build.

Finnish StuG III Ausf G in 1/35.

Tamiya StuG III Ausf G-mid with the saukopf mantlet. I may have to add zimmerit to that. When I get home near Thanksgiving,I will have to check my big book on the StuG.

Bandai 1/48 Ausf D.

I think I have the Tamiya Ausf B somewhere in the stash. :idonno

Just my luck, I got rid of my Dragon StuG IV since I couldn't find a photograph of the rumored vehicle. So, what shows up during my dredging for photographs?

hd09210a.jpg

Ugly indeed but with nice tracks though...

Regards,

Back