• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

DML JSU-122

Meanwhile, back at the bench......

I have reconfirmed that tweezers are the fastest firing weapon known to man. I launched a tool bracket, never
saw it fly but heard it hit something. After scratching a replacement, I found it. :blink

I found a few things that need attention.....it's gettin there!

DSC00938.JPG

DSC00939.JPG

DSC00946.JPG

DSC00947.JPG

DSC00948.JPG

DSC00949.JPG

DSC00950.JPG

DSC00952.JPG

DSC00954.JPG

and yes.....I invented a few new words after the paint went on.

Finding parts after scratch building replacements seems to be the norm. :laugh: Looking good! (y)

Looking great!!! I love the way you mask the running gear. :hmmm All the metal Wow!!

B)

Mission Models Grabhandler and brass wire. Make multiples with same width,no guessing. Works with brass
or copper wire.

...The price doubled since I picked mine up.

There is also The Small Shop Wrangler Wire Bender:

But I use the simplest, Ausfwerks' Bendicator:

b_1619_1.jpg

Here is a review:
http://www.track-link.net/reviews/k1619

Regards,

Meanwhile, back at the bench......

I have reconfirmed that tweezers are the fastest firing weapon known to man. I launched a tool bracket, never
saw it fly but heard it hit something. After scratching a replacement, I found it. :blink

I found a few things that need attention.....it's gettin there!

DSC00938.JPG

DSC00939.JPG

DSC00946.JPG

DSC00947.JPG

DSC00948.JPG

DSC00949.JPG

DSC00950.JPG

DSC00952.JPG

DSC00954.JPG

and yes.....I invented a few new words after the paint went on.
BRAVO! I was reading a bit from PANZER ACES the other night about the Germans fighting these beasts!

Need to put the Cold to the Steel. Trying a couple ideas on a test kit before the 122 gets it.
I'm giving this the whitewash treatment, but going the pastel chalk route. Not to keen with
the hairspray technique for this one. Looking more for that washed/worn look. Pics from lab...

pic 1 - blackboard chalk and water. rough, gritty, doesn't react well to handling. :(

pic_1.JPG

pic 2 - pastel chalk and water. smoother, finer grit and handles better. :)

pic2.JPG

Hi Gunfighter
I'm interested to see what you come up with. I've been thinking of trying something similar, to portray sloppily
applied whitewash. It's tough though, to model sloppy whitewash, without it looking like sloppy modeling.

Is this some pastel chalk sticks that you have ground to a powder?

Looking forward to more!
Tom

Tom,
Thats the page I'm on, not making it look like sloppy modeling. The real stuff, put on with
mops,rags,brushes or whatever at hand should have that sloppy look.

The pastel chalk in pic 2 is the square artists pastel, NOT the oil pastels. There is a difference.

I used a x-acto blade to scrape the pastel powder into a small cup. Add a couple drops of water
and presto! whitewash. Painted on the test bear and let dry.(doesn't take long) Then I started brushing
it down with a dry brush. Cool thing is if your not happy with the look, just put more on and
try again. This one was in an old copy of Fine Scale Modeler, 10 or 11 years ago.

Mike

that looks really good! I was thinking of a partially white-washed job on my KV-2 myself.

Sooo...once this is applied, I'm assuming you can scrub it off with a damp brush, to make it look worn. And then
some sort of clear coat to seal it?

Tom

The guy who wrote the article stated you seal it with a thin coat of Model Master acryl clearcoat. It will
diminish the effect a bit. This is normal, when dry, add more whitewash and seal again. Repeat till
you are happy with it. The scrubbing I did on the Brummbar was with a dry stiff bristle brush. I also tried
a stencil brush but it cut chalk too fast. The thing I like is it is very forgiving. Don't like it, wash off
and start again.

Having a fight with the home computer, modem and router. They all decided to go on strike. Soon as
I get them settled down we'll see how this works.............

Mike

Re: DML JSU-122 White Russian.....

Here we go..

DSC00968_JPG-_R.jpg

DSC00970_JPG_-_R.jpg

DSC00973_JPG_-_R.jpg

DSC00977_JPG_-_R.jpg

DSC00978_JPG_-_R.jpg

At this point, the chalk is dry. It only takes a few minutes. If I used alcohol instead of
water.....faster drying time?? More lab work. I used a dry brush to scrub the brush marks
and "fade the whitewash".

DSC00984_JPG_-_R.jpg

DSC00985_JPG_-_R.jpg

DSC00986_JPG_-_R.jpg

DSC00987_JPG_-_R.jpg

DSC00989_JPG_-_R.jpg

DSC00990_JPG_-_R.jpg

DSC00991_JPG_-_R.jpg

DSC00992_JPG_-_R.jpg

I stepped away from the bench and looked at it. Looks like a springtime
faded wash to me at this stage. I haven't sealed it yet at this stage, as I
need to add more to the wheels.

O.K. kiddies, Your thoughts please..........

Mike

Back