• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

DML JSU-122

Re: DML JSU-122 " For a Few Snowballs More "

I added the snow to the tracks... not happy with the look. :angry:

DSC01106_JPG-r.jpg

Now I have a small stencil brush for just such an emergency and cleared off some of the
snow from the inside track surface.

DSC01113_JPG-r.jpg

DSC01114_JPG-r.jpg

DSC01117_JPG-r.jpg

DSC01119_JPG-r.jpg

DSC01120_JPG-r.jpg

DSC01121_JPG-r.jpg

DSC01122_JPG-r.jpg

DSC01123_JPG-r.jpg

I'll have to call it.....done! :D

Mike B)

Very very good! Looks cold.

Terry B)

Re: DML JSU-122 DONE !

Thanks guys, much abliged to all of ya. First model completed for me in a while (last one was in 96).

Lots of starts and WIPs.

Terry, I was wanting that "better get my coat" look. :D

Mike B)

I added the snow to the tracks... not happy with the look. :angry:

DSC01106_JPG-r.jpg

Now I have a small stencil brush for just such an emergency and cleared off some of the
snow from the inside track surface.

DSC01113_JPG-r.jpg

DSC01114_JPG-r.jpg

DSC01117_JPG-r.jpg

DSC01119_JPG-r.jpg

DSC01120_JPG-r.jpg

DSC01121_JPG-r.jpg

DSC01122_JPG-r.jpg

DSC01123_JPG-r.jpg

I'll have to call it.....done! :D

Mike B)

You may not be happy but I sure would be! (y)

Massive success, Mike: your JSU-122 is looking great!!! (y) Talk about "cold steel" - it's Winter here in Brazil and I was feeling a bit cold... now I'm colder! :cheer: The brute looks just a brute as intended; beautiful build and some splendid pics to go along! :dude

Excellent job on the weathering, white wash and the snow - BTW, what is a "stencil brush"...? :hmmm Another newb question: why didn't those tanks sport any markings? :blush:

Cheers and thanks for sharing! B)
Fernao

Thanks for your kind words and happy that this thing has dropped the temperature for ya! :D

The stencil brush is a round, short, stiff bristle brush used for applying paint through a cut out stencil with a stabbing action.
You can get them in any store that carries art supplies. Mine was liberated from the wife
I use it for any scrubbing that needs done - this time removing excess snow.

DSC01201_JPG-r.jpg

DSC01202_JPG-r.jpg

As for the markings....I have seen so many pics of Russian WW 2 armor with and without markings, not sure what the official
word is on that. My reference photo has no markings, so I went with it.

Here's the pic.

snowball-credit-1_JPG-r.jpg

Mike B)

Thanks Ian
The more I look at it, the happier I am with it.
Trying to get packed snow not to look like plaster or spackling caked on the tracks
in 1/35th scale isn't easy. I tried different mixes on a set of test tracks. Results still
looked like plaster, so I went with Woodland Scenics snow.

Mike B)

Thanks for the info on the stencil brush, Mike: gonna try and find me one.

Also, when I asked about the lack of markings I was was asking why the real tanks didn't carry any identification, not why your model didn't have any - I hope you didn't get that the wrong way... :blush: I guess that guys on the battlefield got used to identifying their peers and opponents by their silhouette, colors, noise or some other characteristics, although that could lead to some friendly fire casualties, eh? :idonno Just a thought. :unsure:

Cheers and congrats on your JSU-122 - I really like that buster! B)
Fernao

Fernao,
Try any place that sells art supplies, even Walmart stores have them. I have a smaller
one made from a cheap round brush that I cut the bristles short - same use only on a
smaller scale.
Nothing taken wrong here. I have read that a lot of the Russian tanks didn't carry radios - guess
they had a 'if it doesn't look like you - shoot it' policy.

Mike B)

Back