• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

DKM Tirpitz in Norway - Deck Desaster!

Re: DKM Tirpitz in Norway - Main Bridge!

Laura, this is a amazing build!!! :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

Hope some day could do something good like this! :ro: :ro: :ro:

WoW LAURA ,

This is Rockin !! I Dig th Lights ! Do you plan to light th Spot lights ?

Beautiful Job !!

:zen :zen :ro: :ro:

:drinks :drinks

:erik

Beautiful work Laura , love the light show .

Tirpitz live at the Capital theater , Passiac N.J.

Re: DKM Tirpitz in Norway - Trapped In Trouble!

damn - I missed some real cool updates here! keep it going, Laura

more than two months ... muarfp! :S

well ok ... after having reluctantly bought another 35m of fibre optics i was able to continue with Tirpitz ... restarted yesterday - of course with getting a headache and scratching my head for at least half an hour. why? because the academy wooden deck is for Bismarck (thank you academy, thank you so much!) and the eduard pe deck has better detail so i had to decide what decking for the first floor deck i would take ... i decided to megaglue the pe deck in place (2k glue) and put the wooden deck over it ... test fitting is ok, not perfect, but ok ... having that sorted out i was able to go on and paint the whole lot, until now i have painted the first, darkest of the camo ... next will be the other, lighter, camo areas, inserting tons of fibre optics and then i'll be able to attach everything to the hull (not before drilling the holes for the screws i want to use to to secure the ship to the base - now where did i put the damn drill bit and the screws ... :S )

pics will follow this late afternoon MEST or tomorrow ... depends on my mood and on how the airbrush cleaning works out ... they are in the cleaning bath at the moment (yes, it was a messy job and i used both, the iwata revolution and hp-sb)

Glad to see you back building on this great ship Laura!
//Mats

:vmad

ok - that's it! this *$&%^#*@(@*#$&%*@) kit is 1mm away from being hammered to pieces and thrown away!

while muppy's tip with putting the wooden deck into the fridge worked insofar that the glue is not that sticky anymore, the too thick and too stiff carrier is spoiling any attempt to remove the planks from it. no matter how careful i was, the deck disintegrated immediately ...

it was when i tried to put the deck on secondary hull behind bruno barbette when i almost lost my temper and had the urge to fetch a hammer - i resisted ... FOR NOW! :vmad

have a look at the disaster:

deckdesaster1.jpg

deckdesaster3.jpg

deckdesaster2.jpg

i don't know if i want to continue with this project and lose countless more nerves, it's too frustrating! atm i'm just thinking of charging off all the money invested so far, move on and don't waste any more time on that build!

repairing the disaster will/would take me hours of carefully cutting out plank by plank and carefully placing them where they should be ... and then there would be still the main deck to be done and with my experiences so far i'm not willing to go through that!

:soldier

Laura, write Academy and tell them what you're facing, maybe they will send another deck set? All else fails, get a new one.

Must be something in the product, mine is pulling away from the carrier with no problems.

Laura, write Academy and tell them what you're facing, maybe they will send another deck set? All else fails, get a new one.

Must be something in the product, mine is pulling away from the carrier with no problems.

no way! i'm not gonna write them, since i know the answer - they'd blame me and my abilities for that desaster! they shall take their crap and shove it up somewhere where the sun never shines! :vmad

Sorry for your troubles, but don't give up.

Terry B)

Hi Laura,

I'm bummed about your deck problems. But I may have a solution for you. This MAY work and it may not. So if you are at wits end and are at the point of nothing to loose you may consider this. I've done this with cabinet veneers, with some success. Sometimes not so good.

Here goes.... if you have a clothes iron for pressing shirts and pants try putting it on it's lowest heat setting. You should be able to touch it briefly, feeling it's hot; without having to run outside screaming in pain. Lay the deck applique on a hard, heat resistant surface, set the iron on top of it for a few seconds and check to see if it will come off the backer material. The idea is to warm the glue enough to soften it so it will let go of the carrier and stick to the plastic.

This will be a trial and error process for you ... how long to leave the iron on it and how many times to repeat it till it works....or not. Just remember not to let the iron sit too long as you may scorch the wood or cause the wood to curl, or burn the adhesive.

If you're up to it give it a try and let us know how it turns out. I do hope this works for you. As I said I've done this before with veneers, I'm a carpenter if that will help instill confidence in this suggestion.

So opposite of what I as suggesting refrigerating it. Makes sense to me, if freezing don't work, try heat. Sounds good to me. :zen

thanks greg! that indeed sounds worth trying and like a good trick!

splendid idea!

for now i need some distance and do one or two builds to relax, when i'm calm enough again i'll try it ...

Laura, it happens to all of us. Just set it aside for awhile, and when you return to it, it won't seem nearly as bad. That's what I do!

Hang in there Kid!

Bob

Back