• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

DKM Tirpitz in Norway - Deck Desaster!

Re: DKM Tirpitz in Norway - Trapped In Trouble!

Looks like you have your work cut out for you Laura. Slow and steady wins the race. :zen

you know what really annoys me with this kit? that it mixes bismarck with tirpitz details and i have to figure out what to leave out and what not ... after having posted yesterday i noticed that the two antenna booms on top were a bismarck feature and that even if mounted on tirpitz (i saw pics with and without) they were considerably shorter than on bismarck ... gna!

main bridge done as far as i could get to fit the deck - everything's just fixed temporary with mr masking neo ... after the painting progress the deck will be fixed and glued together ...

Angels & Agony - Forever

mainbridgedone3.jpg

mainbridgedone1.jpg

mainbridgedone5.jpg

mainbridgedone4.jpg

:soldier

Looks like you are doing fine Laura!

:popcorn

Re: DKM Tirpitz in Norway - Fun With Freya!

Man but thats a lot of work. Its too bad they have it all mixed up, but you are conquering it beautifully. Really enjoying watching this build.
When you put on the rails do you drill pilot holes for it? What glue do you use to attach the rails.
James

When you put on the rails do you drill pilot holes for it?

don't know yet!

What glue do you use to attach the rails.

i don't have the slightest idea! maybe white glue, maybe ca gel, maybe 2k glue ...

what i do know is that i'll have to close those ugly gaps on both sides of the battle bridge and the gap on starboard of the admiral's bridge ... yawn!

I do see some fine detail there so keep plugging away at it.

Regards,

ach du sch.... now I know what I'll never do, build a 1/350 ship. Looks good!

Really outstanding work on those radar antennae. You must have some nerves of steel after that!

Wow Laura!

How the hell did I miss this?

I am impressed! This is really cool. What a great idea.

I love this site! There is so much to see and learn from, it's easy to miss something really cool like this!

Hang in there girl, I'll be following this closely from now on! (y) (y) (y) (y) (y)

Bob

Beautiful work Laura , keep going , it's gettin better and betterer ......

Re: DKM Tirpitz in Norway - Main Bridge!

uff! :S

painting the main bridge was quite some challenge! not 100% accurate but close enough!

the wooden deck was painful, very painful! the academy deck is self adhesive and the carrier is stiff, the smaller the deck section the more fragile the deck itself - you may have already guessed it, the deck sections disintegrated when removing from the carrier and the smaller the section was, the more problems i had. the one on top of the bridge was put in place plank by plank - imagine my use of swearwords!

but i made it and looked forward to ... hahaaaaaa ... another run of fibre optics!
uglyaua.gif

unfortunately i couldn't insert them to all opened portholes (too narrow!) so i have 1,5m left.

having used 98,5m now, i have run out of fibre optics and have to check out how much i still need before i can continue (and finish) the lighting of tirpitz ...

sorry for the bad pics but it was difficult enough to hold the part in one hand and take a photo with the other ...

Nocturnal Emissions - Don't Give Up (i know i have used this video earlier but it fits my mood at this stage of the build! :zen )

mainbridgedeckandlights2.jpg

mainbridgedeckandlights1.jpg

mainbridgedeckandlights3.jpg

mainbridgedeckandlights4.jpg

:soldier

I feel your pain Laura! But it just looks fantabulous!! :ro:

All that work and the unrestricted use of profanity does have it's rewards.
If you need some more fibre optic let me know.... I have a stash of it here at home and several hundred meters of it at work. I'd be happen to send you some....FREE!!

PM me with your info if you want to go that route.....I'm happy to help. :drinks

Greg

Wow- Laura your fingers must be tiny like pencil sized to work in all that PE and fiber optic gear. Amazing.

Looking good Laura. Bummer that the hardwood flooring is being a pain. But later on you'll have a masterpiece to look at and remember how you overcame all problems with pride. The lighting is awesome. (y) (y) (y) (y) (y)
James

Laura, Lookin' good! (y) (y)

A question. You have probably mentioned it before in this thread, but what scale is this? From the photos it looks really large for a model ship.

Modeling being a challenge is what keeps us interested. :bang head :bang head :bang head The greater the challenge, the greater the reward, Right? :yipee

Bob :laugh:

what scale is this? From the photos it looks really large for a model ship.

1/350

glad you like it ... i just hope to do your and all the other's expectations justice!

greg - thanks for your generous offer, much appreciated - but i started that mess and i will pay for that mess ... some sort of self punishing! (and support your local dealer!)

everybody please ignore my bench-mess ... i have about 10cm² working space left and really should clean up the bench! :S :blush:

Fantastic job. Don't beat yourself up, you're doing great.

Leave the bench as is. I have a 2'x8' bench with one square foot of work space. :D

Mike

Back