• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Das Boot. The RC change up.

U-190, this time I'm serious.

Timely reply Mark, I just picked this back up yesterday.

This build took a left turn. I've been on a constant lookout for two kits I've wanted but missed while they were in production. They become available every so often, but usually for ridiculous prices. The kits are the Revell Type VII and the Italeri 1/35 Schnellboat.

A few weeks ago I happened upon a UK shop that was selling the Revell for $55 plus $18 shipping. Needless to say I jumped on it, and just got it yesterday. The IX has been sitting idle since I had the chance to get the VII, but once it arrived I found it a lot smaller than I hoped for RC. After messing around, I think I can make it work with what I have on hand, if not, I'll continue with the IX and do the VII after.

While I was waiting, I tried to get dimensions on the VII and ended up on Revell's German site and it turns out it's back in production, although not on the shelves in the States. So the UK find wasn't the amazing deal I first thought, but at roughly $75, it is still a bargain since that would be the sale price if it ever shows up here.

Then I found out Italeri re released the Schnell as a premium, again only in Europe so far, but it seems to be earmarked for late winter in the US. Looks like I'm getting a second chance.

Local lakes are going to be chock full of Kreigsmarine this summer. :D

U-190, this time I'm serious.

Okay, update time.

I haven't been building much, because I've been trying to build this thing:

It's the guttywots of the RC stuff in a WTC (water tight chamber). A whole lotta learning had to go into this, even down to metallurgy at one point. I originally had brass prop shafts, but the tiny amount of friction from the cup seals that keep the water out heated the brass a bit, which caused it to expand, with caused more friction. I mean enough friction that is was boiling the water around the shafts. Yikes. I switched to stainless Seel, which apparently doesn't expand as much as brass and now all is well.

There's a small airpump in the front chamber that fills the blats the water out of the ballast tank, which drains via a small valve I had to scratch build. A servo opens the valve in one direction, closes and trips a switch to run the pump in the other direction.

Now I can move on to the actual U-boat itself. Since I've found a Type VIIC, I'm going full out Das Boot in the build itself, so I may ask to move this over to the movie campaign, since that build stalled looking for an appropriate kit. :hmmm

Here's some photos of the hull cut and where the WTC fits.

Still a lot to work out, but things are coming together.

h1825462.jpg

hdd96588.jpg

hb4b9884.jpg

h4973008.jpg

h31e79a3.jpg

hfb157e7.jpg

hb47075f.jpg

That's awesome, the snorkel will be hidden in the sail/conning tower?

Actually, I going to try to use make a brass periscope body so it draws from the top, just below the taper to the lens.

My plan is to trim the boat so it will be slightly positive buoyant, so I'll be able to find it if things go south.

Back