• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Dad's motorgrader Update 1/18/12

Re: Dad's motorgrader

Holy Cow!! Outstanding, looks like it's ready to go! (y)

Thanks son, I appreciate that!

That really looks good... ah, to be so driven!

Regards,

Thanks Saul. Driven???? You should have seen me 30 or 40 years ago. THEN, I was driven, now I just mosey along! :D :D

Bob

Thanks Laura.

Hmmmmm, I didn't know you could be speechless. :idonno :idonno :idonno :D :D

Bob

BoB ,

Steady Rollin Man !! Lookin' Great ... you are makin' quick work of this & it's beautiful !!

:ro: :drinks

Thanks Erik,

I'm getting ready to post another update. This is really coming along nicely!

Bob

Re: Dad's motorgrader Update 1/8/12

I got another afternoon in. I am trying to keep track of the hours. With today, I have 39 hours on this project. I am guessing another 10 - 12 including paint and weathering. A total of about 51 hours. That isn't bad for an elderly person I guess. :idonno :idonno :idonno

A lot of details added, some of the exterior wiring, all the lights front and rear, the front axle and steering mechanism. I was able to use a lot of 3/4 and 2 & 1/2 ton truck drive shaft linkage in this that saved a lot of time. I got the engine painted and will detail that completely before I base coat the grader. After that, it will be a month or so before I start weathering and the final detailing. I like to weather with very hard basecoats.

Here is a front shot. Forgive the background. I didn't feel like going to the museum where the photography setup is. Just a few good old kitchen island photos.

Frntwheels.jpg

A shot of the right side.

Lftsdwheels.jpg

Left from above.

Oheadleftwheels.jpg

Right overhead.

wheels.jpg

And a direct overhead.

Overwheels.jpg

A couple of rear shots. Yes, I just stuck the tires on for the photograph. The tread is backward on a couple but won't be on completion.

rearLwheels.jpg

rearwheels.jpg

And one more for good measure.

Obliqwheels.jpg

I still have a lot more details, mostly a bunch of rivets, nuts and bolts, and so on.

It seems to have the look I wanted, at least it LOOKS like a road grader, WW II vintage.

That's it for now!

Bob

Nice to have it up on wheels ain't it? 39 hours, that's a work week, it would take me that much time to muster the courage to cut the first part. :notworthy :notworthy

Great work Bob!!! I would still be trying to figure out where to start.

(y) :notworthy

... :huh: ... :blink ... (<- speechless again that is! :D )

i wish i had more time to comment on outstanding works like yours but RL doesn't really allow me to spend as much time on modelling as i wish to ...

scratching may be easier than it looks but it still needs a lot of what i lack - patience and passion!

i'm in awe of your phantastic work and i already can see the grader integrated in 'logistics' ... and i look forward to that!

:popcorn

A wonderful piece of mechanic marvel :)
I love scratchbuilding but most times i just go wild with imagination, not like this with the research and so.
//Mats

Gee Bob, don't know what to say. Fantastic . I can easily echo the others. Don't even know where I would start. Thankfully I won't need to .

It's screaming for a coat of yellow paint.

Cheers, Christian B)

Nice to have it up on wheels ain't it? 39 hours, that's a work week, it would take me that much time to muster the courage to cut the first part. :notworthy :notworthy

Yeah, now I have finished it completely and have base coated it. I have to admit, it was easier than I thought it would be!

Bob

BoB ,

WoW !! Lookin Great ! Masterful !!! :yipee

Thanks Erik!

Fabulous!

Regards,

Thanks Saul!

Great work Bob!!! I would still be trying to figure out where to start.

(y) :notworthy

Thanks Terry,

It is finished and as soon as I answer the comments, I will post it.

Bob

Re: Dad's motorgrader Update 1/10/12

... :huh: ... :blink ... (<- speechless again that is! :D )

i wish i had more time to comment on outstanding works like yours but RL doesn't really allow me to spend as much time on modelling as i wish to ...

scratching may be easier than it looks but it still needs a lot of what i lack - patience and passion!

i'm in awe of your phantastic work and i already can see the grader integrated in 'logistics' ... and i look forward to that!

:popcorn

Hey Laura,

We all know why you can't post as often as before. I;m happy you like your job, also, there are always those damned bills to pay! Hang in there!

Bob

A wonderful piece of mechanic marvel :)
I love scratchbuilding but most times i just go wild with imagination, not like this with the research and so.
//Mats

Mats, I'll say it again, scratchbuilding is not that difficult, even with the research! I had this one base coated after 44 hours.

Bob

Gee Bob, don't know what to say. Fantastic . I can easily echo the others. Don't even know where I would start. Thankfully I won't need to .

It's screaming for a coat of yellow paint.

Cheers, Christian B)

No, this one will be, (In fact it already is), painted with olive drab and American markings.

Thanks, it was really no big deal, but I'm glad you guys liked it!

Bob

Re: Dad's motorgrader Update 1/10/12

I put in 5 hours today, finished it and gave it a base coat of Olive Drab.

I had all six wheels to finish. Then lots of small details all over the frame. I used a lot of the PE brass weld beads, a lot of the Grandt Line nuts and bolts and rivets. Once finished with that, I started finishing the motor. A four cylinder Caterpillar diesel inline engine. you won't really see a lot of it after it is installed and the cover in place.

motorrtF.jpg

The other side. Note where the diesel fuel gauge was located.

motorlftF.jpg

Then various shots taken just prior to painting it. From the front.

FrntF.jpg

Rear shot

lfrearF.jpg

lfsideF.jpg

ltoblF.jpg

ltsideF.jpg

Now two final shots with higher definition.

RToblF.jpg

rtsideF.jpg

It should be dry tomorrow. I'll post the painted model over the weekend.

Bob

Re: Dad's motorgrader Update 1/14/12

It looks like a bug, a beautifully done but ugly bug!

(y)

Regards,

It looks like a bug, a beautifully done but ugly bug!

(y)

Regards,

Saul, ugly is beautiful, I mean, think about a Tiger I, ugly, but gorgeous! Right? There are no cooler models than very busy and very ugly, vehicles! Smooth and sleek = boring! :geek :geek :geek Think praying mantis!

Bob

Amazing work Bob!!! :woohoo: Diesel engine is beautiful and details are stunning! :eek:hmy: (y) (y)

All the best!!! :drinks
Dusan.

Fantastic work Bob. Cant wait to see the paint job, but even looking at it as is it is awe inspiring.
James

Amazing work Bob!!! :woohoo: Diesel engine is beautiful and details are stunning! :eek:hmy: (y) (y)

All the best!!! :drinks
Dusan.

Thanks Dusan, I'll post some pics of it painted maybe tomorrow.

Bob

Looking great!

Thanks Jeff!

Bob

Fantastic work Bob. Cant wait to see the paint job, but even looking at it as is it is awe inspiring.
James

Thanks James,

I'll be posting it soon. I ran into a very, very old problem I haven't encountered for 40 years. The tires are neoprene. When you paint neoprene with enamel, they won't dry, ever. So, I have replacements for all and this time, I'll use water based paint.

I didn't even know they still used that crap anymore! :idonno :idonno :idonno

Bob

Hi Bob, WOW!!!! This looks awesome (y) (y) Scratch work at it's finest.

Randy

Thanks Randy, I appreciate that!

Bob

Back