• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Dad's motorgrader Update 1/18/12

Re: Dad's motorgrader

OK, got some more bench time. This thing is driving me crazy. Not that it is all that hard, just so many tiny little pieces. It looked fairly simple before I started it!

Here are the latest pics. should get more done this weekend. Got the steering mechanism installed. All the gear levers and dashboard in place. Working on the grader system, it is complicated as hell, you'll see later. Yes, the shift knobs are scale. On the real thing, they are nearly the size of billiard balls.

obl.jpg

I've pretty much got the rear end in place except for all the tiny detailing, Finished the radiator grill and the access hatch with piano hinge immediately below it. The engine cover has been fitted, can't do much more till the engine is detailed.

rear.jpg

Some of the detailing on the front of the cab. The device that lowers, rotates and angles the grader blade itself is started and the front suspension partially built.

front-1.jpg

A better shot of the engine cover and the cab interior.

obl-1.jpg

Another shot of the front.

obl-2.jpg

I'll try to post some updates next week.

Bob

What James said! Inspiring also. :notworthy

Here's an utterly ignorant question, could you take this model and use it for a master for production?

Or would you build the parts differently with production in mind?

What James said! Inspiring also. :notworthy

Here's an utterly ignorant question, could you take this model and use it for a master for production?

Or would you build the parts differently with production in mind?

Thanks MP.

In answer to your question, no. Many of the parts in this model are too thin to cast. Well, you could cast them, but they wouldn't work in resin production. I have only built a couple dozen or more models in my life that were used as masters. Also, it isn't good enough to be a master pattern. You can take shortcuts with a scratchbuilt model that you can't with a master pattern. Don't forget, this will be only one vehicle in a diorama of more than 50 vehicles at the rear of the diorama and won't receive nearly the scrutiny of a stand alone model. Besides, I retired from competition back in 1984! :D If I wanted to produce a road grader model, I would start over, re-engineer it for production and take a lot more time. I admire those that do that for a living. In my opinion, one of the best, if not THE best is Ben Jacobsen of Canada. Patterns, or masters, are, in my opinion, more difficult to build and many scratchbuilders can't seem to make the transition. I admit, for me, it takes all the enjoyment out of it and becomes hard work. :bang head :bang head :bang head

So, yes, I would go at it in an entirely different way, but I'm retired and don't have to do that stuff anymore! I'm in this strictly for the fun. :Hiay

Bob

Yep like I said before. Very cool! Making the big gear for the blade is going to be fun I bet.

:pinch:

I'm in this strictly for the fun

and your fun is so inspiring and jawdropping for us mere disciples! marvellous work bob! :popcorn

I love to see this coming together, there is something special with this type of machines.
Keep up the good work, i find alot of inspiration in this build :)
//Mats

Yep like I said before. Very cool! Making the big gear for the blade is going to be fun I bet.

:pinch:

Thanks Terry,

By coincidence, I just finished the big gear and several other parts of the grader blade apparatus. I made the gear cog by cog! You're right! It was great fun! :bang head :bang head :bang head

Bob

I'm in this strictly for the fun

and your fun is so inspiring and jawdropping for us mere disciples! marvellous work bob! :popcorn

The truth is Laura, scratchbuilding is a lot easier than most people think, Just takes some imagination.

Bob

I love to see this coming together, there is something special with this type of machines.
Keep up the good work, i find alot of inspiration in this build :)
//Mats

Thanks Mats,

I have always liked to build models that are "busy". Lots of details everywhere, and I especially like to build vehicles that have never been kitted or scratched. If one of these have, I haven't seen it.

Bob

BoB ,

WoW ! To see your craftsmanship from th ground up on this ROX ! This is coming together fine ! I can't wait to see more !

:drinks

BoB ,

WoW ! To see your craftsmanship from th ground up on this ROX ! This is coming together fine ! I can't wait to see more !

:drinks

Thanks Erik,

OK, got some more done today. I must have got my measuring and calculations correct, because it is all falling into place now!

I have the major parts of the blade assembly finished, more details to go though. Here is a left side shot showing the large gear, the articulating assembly and the blade.

blade-2.jpg

Front shot.

blade.jpg

Right side.

blade-4.jpg

Overhead shot.

blade-1.jpg

and another angle from the rear.

blade-3.jpg

I'm guessing another 12 hours and it'll be ready for some O.D.base coat!

Bob

BoB ,

Steady Rollin Man !! Lookin' Great ... you are makin' quick work of this & it's beautiful !!

:ro: :drinks

Back