• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Challenger 1Mk 3 Desertised questions

Tankbuilder

Shalom.

I'm finaly nearly finished assembling a model! Wow!

It's the Tamiya 35154 Challenger 1 Mk 3 Desertised verision I'm building. I have a question regarding the water can holders on the Choban Armour sideskirts.

My kit has two of these water can holders. I'm wondering if many of the Challenger 1 tanks in Desert Storm 1 had these mounted on the sideskirts?

Here's an image of a Challenger 1 in Desert Storm 1 with two of those water can mounts on the left sideskirt.

Do you think, or know, if there would have been two mounts on the right sideskirt of this tank also?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/61/Challenger_Desert_Storm_1.jpg/1280px-Challenger_Desert_Storm_1.jpg

Also, I was wondering what colour you'd use for a base colour for a Challenger 1 in Sesert Storm 1? Tamiya calls out $57 Buff. Is that a good choice?

Thanks and cheers from Peter

Hope someone can help Peter, I sure can't, other than to say can't go wrong with Tamiya colors.

Did a quick google image search for Challenger Desert Storm and I didn't see any consistency with those racks. Looks like a field mod, if it were me I'd go with what you know and just do the port side.

If you could use Model Master the colour is 3127 British Gulf Armor Lt Stone.
James

Shalom.

Thanks fellows.

Just about have the beastie finished. I decided to make the periscope door in front of the commander workable. I'll post some images later today.

I think I'll attach the sandskirts/armour after I paint the wheels and hull. Otherwise I'll have to paint the wheels and tires in situ.

I suppose that before I paint it I'dbetter check to see if it needs anti sli and if so where it goes.

Cheers from Peter

Shalom.

Update on paint colour.

Got up to the local hobby shop today. No joy in getting that colour Jame. They have nothing in that line just some MM FS# stuff but nothing in the armour colour sline. They carry paints mostly for the lawn dart people (Jets)and prop planes.

I did find a build of this kit online where the Builder was a Desert Storm veteran. He stated that Tamiya XF-57 was too light and that the Dark Yellow was too dark so he used a 50/50 mix of the two. What he DIDN'T say was what XF-# Dark Yellow he used. I bought both XF-59 and XF-60 in the hope that one of those is the colour he used. I hope replies to my email.

Cheers from Peter

I did find a build of this kit online where the Builder was a Desert Storm veteran. He stated that Tamiya XF-57 was too light and that the Dark Yellow was too dark so he used a 50/50 mix of the two. What he DIDN'T say was what XF-# Dark Yellow he used. I bought both XF-59 and XF-60 in the hope that one of those is the colour he used. I hope replies to my email.

XF-59 is DESERT YELLOW,Peter.

To find the exact color is a bit of a funny thing.You might be able to find the exact color and spray it on your model,but after filters and washes,it doesn't look 'right' after all.(too dark)
Best thing to do,IMHO,is to lighten up the color a bit by using white or some other light color for scale appearance,how smaller the model,the more lightening color.

Greetings,Ron.

I'm with Ron on this Peter, nailing the exact color is not something that's easy to do. Just ride by any National Guard unit and see the various colors of their stuff in real life. They all are suppose to be the same yet, weather, fading, maintenance, repairs even who paints them has an effect oh how it comes out.

Just like with shapes of our models, lines and what not, don't know if we ever have a model that is 100% spot on, best just to take the most fair representation of what we're modeling.

Shalom fellows.

I'm not looking for the eact colour as it was at a cdrtain time and day. I just want a decent base colour.

I've done a fair bit of photography and have been to the desert so I do know what happens in different conditions and under different lighting. I have images of a kayak I built that was painted brick red. One image shows the brick red very well and another image taken 30 seconds later from the opposite end of the boat shows the brick red as a deep brown.

I think I'll just mix the buff and the lighter dark yellow for the base colour. Besides, in the desert the entire tank would very soon be covered with a very thick coat of whitish looking dust. Witness the Canadian Leopards in Afghanistan; they look to be sand colour ovverall but according to James they are Nato camouflage. Thsat means that the full cover sand colour I see in images is just thethick dust coating everything.

Cheers from Peter

Back