• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Carlo Faggioni's SM.79bis ANR (2nd plane)

Flyingbabydoc

Hello dear friends,

Although I have been trying my luck with the Japanese aircraft, my real passion is the Regia Aeronautica. And, from all those wonderful and weird planes, this one, the damned hunchback (Gobbo Maledetto) is my favorite. I was lucky enough to see a real one in the Museo Storico della Aeronautica Militare Italiana in Vigna di Valle (near Rome) in 2014. This was an aircraft sold to Lebanon after the war and used up to the 50's, then brought back to Italy. Another one in the original Lebanese colors can be found in Trento, at the Museo Gianni Caproni.

Here are some pics from Vigna di Valle (if you have a chance, visit this museum. It is simply amazing).

h60f074a.JPG

h1a3ac4c.JPG

h8bb7969.JPG

h073cec4.JPG

And here is my contribution: the Italeri Savoia-Marchetti SM.79 in 1/72, lots of PE from Eduard.

h169b0d2.JPG

h84cec07.JPG

h58dd168.JPG

I will be assembling the aircraft of Lieutenant Carlo Faggioni, who was second in command of the 281° Squadriglia, 132° Gruppo anti-silurante based in Gadurra (Rhodes) and Castelvetrano. Faggioni remained flying the SM.79 after the 1943 Armistice with the Aeronautica Nazionale Reppublicana, until he was KIA over Anzio on March 10th, 1944.

h3ba1f50.JPG

h1c0de5a.jpg

The camouflage Scheme is the Regia Aeronautica C1 (Giallo mimetico 3, verde mimetico 2 and marrone mimetico 1 over Grigio mimetico).

Thanks for looking. I am looking forward to this build with all the new techniques I learned here.

Cheers

Alex

Carlo Faggioni's SM.79 (281-4)

Very nice choice Alex ... I will enjoy following your build ... very interesting Aircraft indeed ... :pilot :popcorn

A man after my own heart
salute~0.gif
salute~0.gif
salute~0.gif

Looks like there was a lot of vino before they painted that one. Busier than usual :coolio

Cheers, Christian B)

:coolio That's excellent, I'm doing exactly the same kit for this campaign. Will be interesting to see how they 'match' at the end of the process.

:popcorn

Ian.

Thanks everyone. I am looking forward to this build too. I have a diorama set already waiting for it. Very Italian. As Christian says, a lot of eye candy.

Ian, I hope it is not a problem that I build the same airplane. Maybe you should start so that I can mirror your technique!

Hopefully I will get this started later on the weekend. It's 22:41 and I have been in the OR since 07:30 AM so now it is time for some shut-eye! :java :java :java

Cheers

Alex

Not really my call,but that bird wore so many paint jobs, I think there Is space for more than one. Build .

Cheers, Christian B)

Thanks dear friends for your interest. I will do my best not to disappoint you!

So I got a bit of work done. This is the beginning of the cockpit, panel and floor.

h39a63c4.JPG

h3e6179e.JPG

hee37ebf.JPG

I have assembled a few Sparvieros before but this one I want to be the best so far. That is why I am entering uncharted territory. I will try to improve the PE details with my own scrap-built additions!

To begin, the best source for Italian aircraft is the Ali d'Italia volumes, which were published until 2012 by La Bancarella Aeronautica from Torino. This is volume 28, a reissue of 9 and 11, all about the Sparviero.

hbb3b2bd.JPG

As you can see, the side of the port fuselage is rather bare.

h8125517.JPG

This is what it looked like in the real plane:

h8a13b16.JPG

So I am using an 7 Fr. intraureteral catheter (or better said, the guiding wire for its placement) (this a catheter used as a stent in the ureter after surgery or due to obstruction) to create some detail. These catheters have a metal core and a coil-lining which render them elastic. Both can be optimally used in an 1/72 model for the wiring and radio connections:

h0457deb.JPG

hbc220f7.JPG

This is the final result with the new wiring:

hc505c28.JPG

h4955ed4.JPG

DISCLAIMER: It goes without saying, but just to be clear all these materials I use cannot be used in patients anymore and were going to be discarded/destroyed. I simply scavenge the OR waste bin!

More to come. I am excited with the project! Let's hope I don't screw up..

Cheers

Alex

Very ambitious looking start . (y)

Don't feel bad about scavenging . I have done that for years . Just not in the same place .

Looks like I might have to find another Ali D'Italia book before I build my next Sparvio.

Have you settled on a paint scheme yet ?

Cheers, Christian B)

Ian, I hope it is not a problem that I build the same airplane. Maybe you should start so that I can mirror your technique!

Alex

That's good of you to say, Alex, but I'm giving priority to a few other projects just now. You 'crack-on', I'll catch-up in a couple of months.

:good:

Ian.

Hello everyone,

So I was able to get some work done. The wiring is installed, the rest must be completed when both halves are assembled.

This is the starboard side, original and in the model:

ha223138.JPG

h6742bf5.JPG

hf6e491a.JPG

hed7e6d6.JPG

Now the gondola with the Jozza aiming system (again original and model):

ha8dd690.JPG

h9aa43d6.JPG

h34c5556.JPG

The torpedo release system:

h7df625a.JPG

finally, the cockpit with the bomb vault and some extra wiring, machine guns, cover hatch, engines:

h276910a.JPG

hb220820.JPG

hfc477ec.JPG

h5f7cc16.JPG

That is all for now. I will soon start painting, I am hoping it will not hide the details.

Cheers and thanks for looking,

Alex

Looking really good Alex . Makes my Airfix antique look like it came from the stone age.

By the way, we are not all Navy guys here . My shoes are marked left and right .

Navy terms always force me to figure out which is what :rotf

Two of my neighbors were Marines and the Father was a sailor . Never took with me.

The AF. was strictly up, down , left or right :idonno Does not get any easier then that .

Cheers, Christian B)

Back