• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Can you make Magic Trax workable ?

panzerace007

Hey GUYS,

I've heard rumors .... I'm working on a set of Magic Trax for My Sd.Kfz 7/1. I was hoping to paint them Off of the Vehicle. Is there a way to glue them ( with what glue) so they are workable. I've also heard that the Tamiya X-tra Thin is too thin to use & it will go everywhere ??

Thoughts ?

THANX in Advance,

ERIK

What i did for the 251 and 250 is put the links together pin in slot. Then put a small dab of glue (tube or crazy glue) in the center of the pad. place it in the track and let set. As long as glue does not touch the pin / slot the tracks are workable.
hth
James

JAMES,

Thanx :ro: !! SooWeet. I thought it was something like that. Would Tenax 7R be thick enough not ot run all over th place ?

ERIK

Tenax will run and get in everything. Tube or thick glue is best. If you use crazy glue here is what I do.
I use the gel or thick stuff. Put a small amount in a beer cap (anything will work). Use a tooth pick to transfer a small dab. I find anything more than 10 at a time the glue dries out and my back hurts and I'm thinking other things would be more fun.

James

JAMES,

I'll run over to LOWE'S and grab some Thick Loc-tit. That should do th job. I know how your Back Feels ... Doing that Miniature P.E. kills my Upper back & neck ! A lot of Smoke Breaks ! Good Thing I'm th Boos in th Panzer Shoppe !!! :ro: :ro:

I smell a SbS on th subject .... or I just stepped in something th Dog left in th Yard !:sick:

:dude
ERIK

Hey Erik!
If you haven't already gone off to the home improvement warehouse, check out Gorilla's version of super glue. It's thick and I have had a bottle open on the bench since January, great stuff! Apply it like James suggested and you can kick it with any accelerator for CA.

You can and all you need is snot !!!

( thats the rubber glue stuff you can buy from hobbylobby ) theres an Snot SBS in the tips and tricks section

:)

Hey Erik!
If you haven't already gone off to the home improvement warehouse, check out Gorilla's version of super glue. It's thick and I have had a bottle open on the bench since January, great stuff! Apply it like James suggested and you can kick it with any accelerator for CA.

MIKE,

Is th Gorilla Glue thick or do they make a thick glue ? I've seen it. I'm about a day out from needing th Trax. Maybe tomorrow ?? I'll look it over !

ANDY - I'll look over th Snot !:sick: I spied it earlier , haven't read it yet.

ERIK

I don't want to appear to be disagreeing with these fine gentlemen but if you are very, very careful, it is possible to use Tenax/Proweld/Plastruct or any type of liquid cement.

By knocking most of the glue off the brush and applying it delicately to just the track pad area of my DML 251 track links, I was able to get them to 'work' as seen in the quick video below.

*of course this doesn't necessarily apply to all magic track types.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiwAUlL5BVU

Never thought of knocking or wicking most of the fluid away. I like tenax better than tube glues. Will try. Thanks Ken
James

Hey GUYS,

Thanx for the help. I used some C.A.Glue, It was convenient. Just sittin there on th Bench. I used just a small Dot ! They came out Great !

Thanx Again JAMES,ANDY,& KEN !

tracks_for_the_flak_vierling_iii_3_20101119_1515602453.jpg

Here I made a Track alignment tool with two Rulers. Th Horns sat in between the two & kept everything straight.

tracks_for_the_flakvierling_ii_2_20101119_1756648929.jpg

I'm just putting a small dot of C.A. where the Shoe will sit.

tracks_for_the_flakvierling_i_1_20101119_1583654577.jpg

And there ya' have it. Let it set for a few seconds. I checked th length a couple of time to make sure I had enough trax. Then it was time to paint & attach. I'll weather them after they are on th Vehicle. It will help tie everything together !

ERIK

Back