• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Build #2 - BP Defiant ASR * * D O N E * *

ij001

Well now, here's something I didn't see coming !! - Why this kit appeals to me is completely beyond my own understanding. OK, this is going to be in the markings of 277 Squadron which was formed to provide search and rescue coverage across the Channel at the outset of WWII.

ha2f2b76_2016-03-03.JPG

h8b0c5e1_2016-03-03.jpg

Not surprisingly the Defiants wore the 'Temperate Sea Scheme' of Extra Dark Sea Grey/Dark Slate Grey/Sky as they spent almost all of their time over water, as I've only ever done one model in that scheme, right there is another reason to do this particular aircraft.

So like the other campaign builds I'm hoping to do, I'll post-up the starting pics when it hits the bench.

AFN

Ian.

Build #2 - BP Defiant ASR

So that's what that yellow thing is under the wing, Life raft?

So that's what that yellow thing is under the wing, Life raft?

It is a Search and Rescue canister containing a dinghy and other survival kit, one was carried under each wing.

Now to see which side of the squadron code colour debate he comes down on. Red or Sky?

Cheers,
Rich

I don't know if you saw it, but over on Britmodeller in a discussion of ASR Spitfires, Edgar Brooks posted some info he found in the Archives on 277 Sqn codes, ASR Discussion

Cheers,
Rich

Rich that's superb, I didn't even think to check there. I exchanged eMails and chats with Edgar over the years, he wasn't always easy to get along with but he knew his stuff.

So looks like dull red codes were both unique and accidental to 277 Sqn.

I'll do a quick photo review once the kit arrives, although I haven't had the official eMail from Hannants yet that it's on its way.

Ian.

Still think its a neat aircraft despite being useless for anything but a deathtrap.
James

Just got an eMail from Hannants, the Defiant (and Eduard masks) are on their way. Nigel mentioned that the first batch that came from Airfix flew out of the door so fast that they couldn't make-up more than half of the backorder requests.

So it is on it's way down-under.... I'm like a kiddie waiting for Santa !!

Ian.

Well this sucks....

Over two weeks and no sign. It was sent on the 14th and usually takes between four and seven working days, so not looking good.

:angry:

Ian.

Well this sucks....

Over two weeks and no sign. It was sent on the 14th and usually takes between four and seven working days, so not looking good.

:angry:

Ian.
They sent it via Efrica and its been a loooooooong weekend expect it any day now :geek

It's 1930 in the evening here and just 30mins ago, this arrived !!

hdbdca79.JPG

I think I promised an in-box review, so I'll happily do that tomorrow. First impression...It's bl**dy superb :woohoo:

Ian.

Damn was hoping they might deliver it here :D

I cant wayt to see that inbox mate

First off, I completely forgot the date-stamp pic when I started this on Sunday afternoon, my sincere apologies and if folks want me to pull this build, then I will.

Second, as I'm typing this, 'Rescue Me' by Fontella Bass is playing on my R'n B Spotify list !! - So far this is not one of the best fitting Airfix kits that I've built, it's one of the best fitting kits I've ever built in thirty-odd years, it's bl**dy superb !

h72a215c.JPG

h5bf550f.JPG

h27a3e5b.JPG

h7d68e7f.JPG

h9271a10.JPG

hc788da6.JPG

hfa47f03.JPG

More in a min'

Ian.

Only addition are the belts from the original generic Eduard 'RAF Seatbelts' set so that meant they had to be individually threaded - well there's 45mins of my life I won't get back again

:java .

h9727705.JPG

hd065e40.JPG

h25feb98.JPG

h357144e.JPG

h81daa0c.JPG

Airfix give us one-piece covers for the gear bay if we want to display it 'in flight', they fit so tightly that they make perfect masks for the bay, and there's so many options for the canopy & turret transparencies that getting exterior paint on the interior isn't going to be any sort of issue either.

Absolute joy so far and as ever all comments, questions and criticism is welcome.

Ian.

At the local modelers meet last Saturday one of the guys had this kit built up. A really nice looking kit when built!

:popcorn

Back