• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Build #1 - AB-212 * * D O N E * *

ij001

Finally made a decision (more accurately a couple of decisions). For this campaign I'll build a couple of kits - the new Airfix BP Defiant and the Italeri 1:48 Agusta-Bell 'Twin Huey'. Colours for this will be (early) Italian AF SAR scheme:

h935175e.jpg

h237bebd.JPG

I may do it as a side-by-side project with another as it's a fairly straightforward build, although admittedly a not-so-straightforward paint-job. I was seriously considering an RAF SAR Wessex also from Italeri but in the end as I already had the 'Huey' on the shelf it was pretty much a no-brainer in the end.

AFN

Ian.

Build #1 - AB-212

Good question, Jeff. The answer isn't straightforward as ait depends entirely upon where the kit was sourced from.

If it's an Italeri original (like this one), or one of the Esci moulds that they acquired, (like the UH-1D or Bo105), then generally I'd rate them very highly; equally the 1:72 S-58/UH-34/Wessex kits that they produced alongside RoG are qualitatively outstanding.

However there are 'rogues' that you need to watch for like the Ka-50 which is 'challenging' due to it's eastern European origin.

Hope this doesn't muddy the waters too much.

Ian.

Build #1 - AB-212

Ooo! I built that Ka-50! Oh man what a disaster! You don't build one.... you assemble the blobby parts and then carve the helicopter out of the resultant block of plastic you glued together.

It does look good when it is finally carved out of the block.

Build #1 - AB-212

Right then...

h330cbbd.JPG

h5165a4d.JPG

Throwing my hat in the ring with Italeri's reissued 'Twin Huey', as promised . Not adding any extras nor after-market decals. Hopefully a straight-forward OoB project that will look like that photo I posted a few weeks ago at the end of the process:

Stay tuned, folks

Ian.

Build #1 - AB-212

This is gonna look good. With all these builds going on, maybe I should see what's in my stash to do...

Build #1 - AB-212

So now that the 'joys' of the Easter break are behind us and 'Daddies little stormtroopers' are back in school, I can share where the 'Twin Huey' is up to right now.

Just four pieces make-up the clutch-plate and lower hub/shaft assembly. Painted as I remember the one I almost got a check-flight in when I was in the States some years back.

Internals part-done. Seat belts are from masking tape with plastic card buckles, yes the seats-cushions were bright red, as they're designed to float in the event of an overwater ditching. Just some simple 'old-skool' dry-brushing brings the knobs and switches to life. And my 'top-tip' for avoiding classic helo model tail sitting... Just add money under the floor pan.

More in a min'...

Ian.

Build #1 - AB-212

And here's just a couple of photos of the fuselage all mocked-up to check fit of the insides so far:

Thanks for taking the time to look and/or comment, more later in the week.

AFN

Ian.

Build #1 - AB-212

I had one fly over the other week, when ever I hear something out of the norm I go a runnin'. Anyway, thought it was going to blow the windows out, he wasn't tree top but close because I could feel the Woop Woop Woop when he flew over.

Looking good Ian :popcorn

Build #1 - AB-212

Fuselage done:

h09dd479.JPG

h4ed8ad4.JPG

h5666276.JPG

h401fe5f.JPG

h9b7b9f5.JPG

The 'dog house' and skids aren't glued as yet, just placed for the photos. I foresee a LOT PSR and a LOT of masking in my near future !! - Thanks for taking the time to look and/or comment.

Ian

Back