• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Britts Construction Company '65 pickup

Playing with making the decal, the first is a scan of the actual bumper sticker we found in the tool box that was on the back of this truck. I don't know what happened to the truck but the tool box sat in my dad's back yard for years till we cleaned out the old house. Amazingly they are in excellent condition.

View attachment 171516

Here's the bigger sticker I crated in GIMP, I think I got close with the font.
View attachment 171515

I can't figure out how to center text layers but they look like they are here. Spacing looks funny but I'm replicating what was on the truck. I got decal paper and will give it a shot tomorrow.
When I have made mine with print I have used a word processor like word or open office. Gives a bit more freedom in spacing and alignment.

When I have made mine with print I have used a word processor like word or open office. Gives a bit more freedom in spacing and alignment.
Thanks James, I don't have office on my personal PC and if I fire up my work computer, someone might see me online and start harassing me. :rotf

I found the alignment tool.

If you get in a bind with the graphics, I can replicate about anything in Canvas using photos and a lot of tools to generate vector graphics shapes.

Got the radio tuned in. some red clay mud in the floor. I think I'm done tricking out the inside.
1721785048159.png

1721785147858.png

I made some decals but I screwed up on the sizing. Got to start over, that decal is too pixilated to be used. I know my printer can print better than that.

Not sure I call this final assembly but body parts are on the chassis now.
20240727_202958.jpg
20240727_203042.jpg
20240727_203005.jpg

20240727_203012.jpg

I'm already wanting to do this again but with all the bits on the motor. I hooked up radiator hoses and will paint them just for the hey. Unsure how this would go together if I followed instructions and installed the motor on the chassis and then installed the front section. I know I tried it early on and the side walls of the engine bay would not clear the exhaust manifolds. Also at this point I can't get the fan installed, not enough clearance but you can't see it when it's done anyway.

I wish I had installed the door handles before painting, lesson learned.

I'm having trouble with the decal also. Using Gimp I create the layer to the size I want, 125 PX wide but it's coming out too pixilated.
1722136204508.png

by the time I print that it's illegible. I'm I over thinking it doing it in Gimp?

The truck is really cool!
I do my decals in Google Docs, but I haven't done anything as complex as that. Print it on paper, take a picture and enlarge/reduce from there on white decal paper?

If it starts out rough it will only stay that way in printing. I will look into it tomorrow. What is the finished size of the decal you are trying to make Bob?

Did I say I already want to build this again?

She's up on her wheels!
20240728_190109.jpg

I wish I had the correct hub caps, I took the chrome off the half moons that came with the kit and just painted them white. Maybe some bow tie decals in the future?

20240728_190120.jpg

Front end shaped up nicely I think. the inside of the headlamps are chromed, I have to put the clear lenses on now. Clear orange over chrome for the amber turn signals.
20240728_190127.jpg

20240728_190144.jpg

Not liking that towing package back there. First thing is I got to put an actual ball on that reciever. Next to figure out why it's 2 foot in the air.

What I would do different on the next one is trick out the engine bay completely and get better looking wheel/suspension, really don't like how they mate to the axel but I doubt they will be seen.

What an awesome build, Bob! I love it 👌👌👌
Reminds me of my Granddad's truck. His was a faded green, white roof. Had 1x board rails on the bed that read 'Simpson's Sevice Center'. His JD repair business back in the 70's.

Back