• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Breaking the Hitler Line - Italy - May 1944

Chris ITA

Hi Guys,

As mentioned in my other dio thread 'the road to bardia' I'm currently at a stop on that one while I sort out some scenic materials, so I thought I'd take the opportunity to introduce this one

This is 'Breaking the Hitler Line' and the intention is to depict a small vignet of events immediately prior to an assault on the line by the Canadian 1st Infantry Division.

The division was supported by the British 25th independent tank brigade, part of which were the Churchills of the North Irish Horse. The brigade was to be of such assistance to the Canadians that after the line was breached and the battle won, their Commanding Officer would award the brigade the right to add the white maple leaf to their brigade black diablo insignia

The build began as a desire to dipict ASHBOURNE a Churchill MkIcs. ASHBOURNE was one of a pair of Churchill MkIcs tanks modified in North Africa to change the turret 2pdr for an additional 3in Howitzer (not to be confused with the more standardised version where the turret and hull gun were simply trasnposed)

Perhaps more interestingly though, in response to the complaints of commanders who had to try and command their tank while 'buttoned up' during mortar attacks using only two periscopes, the REME workshops in North Africa grafted on ARV cuppolas to these two tanks from PzIIIs

Here is ASHBOURNE
ashbourne.jpg

and her sister tank (and the only other MkIcs in this configuration) BUSHMILLS
bushmills2.jpg

and here is my build of Ashbourne using the Tamiya MkVII converted with an International Models Asia MkI conversion, AFV Club MkIII parts, Accurate Armour heavy track and a little scratch work:
IMG_5370.jpg

and painted:
IMG_7914.jpg

IMG_7911.jpg

IMG_7910.jpg

MORE>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I wanted a second vehicle in the dio, so I went with a vintage (ie chunky!) Tamiya Universal Carrier

The detail on this was not great and the armour was somewhat overscale, so I scratched numerous bits, including all new frontal armour, and added some Bronco bits from the British/ Commonwealth AFV Accessories set, and Resicast UC Tracks which are nothing short of a revelation compared to the kit attrocities!
IMG_8204.jpg

Painted:
IMG_8232.jpg

IMG_8233.jpg

IMG_8234.jpg

IMG_8236.jpg

And I've made a start on some figures. There will be 8 in total (goodness knows why because I hate doing figures :S)

IMG_8888-1.jpg

IMG_8891.jpg

IMG_8889.jpg

IMG_8890.jpg

IMG_8892.jpg

More progress soon ;)

this is looking very promising already! the vehicles look the deal and the figures have catching poses!

don't let us wait too long with the next update!

Thanks guys :)

No Dioramix, I mean the Hitler Line -

the Hitler Line

25th Tank Brigade Breaching the Hitler Line

"The line was a so-called "switch line", joining the Gustav Line at Monte Cairo and providing a fall-back position behind the Gustav Line should it be penetrated. The line was breached on May 24, 1944 on the British Eighth Army front by 1st Canadian Infantry Division and 5th Canadian (Armoured) Division attacking with II Polish Corps on their right. The Polish Corps captured Piedimonte on May 25 and the line collapsed. The next German line was the Caesar C line"

Chris

What a cool Churchill conversion! Thanks for the history and background too. The tank and carrier look great.

superb mate (y) both are truly great models and its good to see the Churchill in one of its lesser known guises its made me want to get back to my Brit/commonwealth stash :notworthy

The tracks are amazing. They look just like the real thing.
Figures and kits look good so far.
One cool thing you may be able to do is to add a drop of CA/glue into the lens ends of the binoculars. The drill out is good, lens are convex and a drop of glue could do the trick.

Thanks guys :)

Slodder, I'm afraid that tip proved a bit beyond my current skills :huh: but I will try it again in the future :)

After my usual struggles (I don't really enjoy doing figures, probably because I'm a bit rubbish at it, but I persevere because I might enjoy it if I get good :laugh: ) The figures are done:

IMG_9039.jpg

IMG_9038.jpg

IMG_9072.jpg

IMG_9071.jpg

IMG_9070.jpg

IMG_8936.jpg

Better get on with the groundwork. WARNING I'm even worse at groundwork than I am at figures :S

I really love that conversion of the Churchill, with the Panzer cupola it looks superb .

The figures look great except for the officer :S . I think he looks too glossy in his uniform , maybe give him another coat of paint or some dullcoat ?

Looking forward to more updates :) .

Jenny :kiss:

Oh dear, I've been a bit naughty and finished it without taking any photos of progress, sorry guys

suffice it to say the key ingredients in the ground work were Treemendus' 'grass' matt and tree kit, both of which were a dream

So here it is finished: a couple of shots here and the rest I will post in the showcase

Chris
img_9747-1_1_20101007_1691855466.jpg

img_9758_5_20101007_1928866801.jpg

I have to say that for a guy who doesn't like to do figures you do them pretty good Chris.

The vehicles look perfectly weathered and the terrain is a beauty, congratulations!

The only thing that bothers me is the arm of the officer, it looks a bit too long. (But maybe it is the angle of the picture.)

Ruben

Back