• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Blackburn Skua

Nice job master!

Courageous of you to tackle that resin engine. I consider resin the "final frontier"... I have had abysmal experiences with it. Looking forward to seeing how you do it.

Alex

Hey Alex, no worries . I try crazy stuff quite often .

Unlike your job, if my surgery is not successful it's not a major even .

I do have to admit, I don't like working with resin as well as plastic but they have very nice detail .

Cheers, Christian B)

Man, the more I fiddle with this kit, the more it sucks me in :frantic

I forgot to post this picture in the beginning but I have been working from this book.

A lot of pictures and most of poor quality but if you look long enough you will find something to be added to the kit that the manufacturer has neglected to include :(

Skua_cont_003a.jpg

In this case I have found several while looking for some engine detail .

First I found this in the instructions ( for you Edd ) even though it has nothing to do with my building a Skua and a Heinkel at the same time. It does prove that it is the bird mentioned in the article.

Skua_cont_004a.jpg

After removing the engine from the pour block it was carefully glued in place.

Skua_cowl__001a.jpg

Noticed that I have added a couple of air scoops ahead of the cockpit ( from spares ) as well as the air cleaner.

Next was an interesting puzzle . How to remove all the exhaust pipes without loosing or breaking any.

Skua_cowl__003a.jpg

First remove them from the pour block and stick them to tape. Next , trim the small squares from the ends.

Next, I glued a few to the engine with tacky glue and checked the fit to the cowl, since the directions are very vague and the possibilities endless.

Skua_cont_001a.jpg

By the time I got this far, I found it wise to stop and try again in the morning when I was conscious

This above picture is the morning corrected version. The pipes were then superglued before starting on the second set. By this time I had a plan for doing this and it was easier.

Skua_cont_002a.jpg

At this point, it made me think of a boar with some scary tusks.

Next the engine was painted and the cowl slipped back on.

Skua_eng_paint_001a.jpg

The exhaust stack was added and a clamp manufactured and installed.

Skua_cont_005a.jpg

The hole on the side is only one of many coming upgrades, so stay tuned :pilot

The cowl braces wont be installed till the bird it painted as well as the air tube

Cheers, Christian B)

Nice Job! :good:

Which glue do you use for Resin? I have tried several and no one worked out ok. The best I could do so far was the Tamiya gel, but also not entirely satisfactory.

Looking forward to the next chapters!

Alex

Nice Job! :good:

Which glue do you use for Resin? I have tried several and no one worked out ok. The best I could do so far was the Tamiya gel, but also not entirely satisfactory.

Looking forward to the next chapters!

Alex

My first experiment was with Scotch quick dry adhesive , so I could move them around and see how they fit in relationship to the cowl . That did not really hold

Next morning, having an idea of how they should go, I used a superglue gel . It provides time to position the pipes .
When in place I applies a bit of accelerator to set them.

Cheers, Christian B)

Thanks Gator , Swordman ....Rather mind boggling and there are still three pieces to install but I will wait till after the paint mask is removed.

Cheers, Christian B)

Thanks Mike, Dave , Bob :)

Had sometime yesterday to work on the fiddly bits I discovered in the Skua book .

First, the ID light in the lower fuselage and the brass vent ( ? )

Skua_bit_and_bobs_003a.jpg

Next the tube that the aframe arresting pivoted on .

Skua_bit_and_bobs_002a.jpg

Visible on the front is the tube for the starter crank the enhanced exhaust pipe and a couple of brass pieces coming out from around the wingfold mechanism .

Skua_bit_and_bobs_001a.jpg

and the last item...The landing lights are trash...Need to make some new ones. these are clouded :facepalm

Skua_bit_and_bobs_001b.jpg

Oh well, might have time tomorrow . Cheers, Christian B)

Nice work Chris! & good on ya for looking over the references. Never know what goodies could be overlooked (y) (y)

Thanks guys . Adding all the small bits make the birds come to life.

Having references is nice but unfortunately costly . It also has the negative effect of taking way more time to build anything :soldier But in the end I seem to prefer it .

No idea what happened to the lights . The inside was coated with Future (y) Need to come up with plan B or C....

Don't see much time available today or tomorrow :frantic Yiiipes !

Cheers, Christian B)

Always respect the way you really make the effort with the smallest of details, Chris. Great work here.

Ian.

Back