• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Blackburn Skua

Not sure why this canopy fit problem gave me such an issue :idonno Once the Mosca was off the desk ,I knew how to fix the issue.

I sawed through the center of the green house and tapped both halves to the fuselage sides.

Skua_canopy_001a.jpg

and glued an appropriate piece of sprue between the halves.

When dried, I flipped it upside down .

Skua_canopy_002a.jpg

and than dremeled the inside ridge flat.

Skua_canopy_003a.jpg

Once done, I superglued a wide piece of .010 sprue on the inside to add some strength .

Glued the canopy to the fuselage.

Skua_canopy_004a.jpg

Trimmed and sanded the splice .

Skua_canopy_005a.jpg

and after a couple rounds of MrSurfacer , that's what we have.
I think it'll work. :)

Skua_canopy_006a.jpg

Cheers,Christian B)

Excellent job on the canopy Chris ... all your detail work is amazing ... This will be another from the most excellent Hanger of Chris ... :pilot (y)

Excellent job on the canopy Chris ... all your detail work is amazing ... This will be another from the most excellent Hanger of Chris ... :pilot (y)

Thanks Gery Probably overstated though but I try . :blush:

I so thought that I would be able to start painting this weekend . Only a tail plane to glue on right, piece of cake.

Skua_prime_002a.jpg

Well, I was very wrong. My best efforts to line it up since it has no locating pins resulted in .020 steps between the fairing and the tail surface.

Skua_prime_001a.jpg

Several layers of MrSurfacer and sanding took care of the rest.

skua_prime_004a.jpg

and now I can say that it is in primer and will be ready for paint tomorrow :frantic

Skua_prime_005a~0.jpg

Skua_primmer_again_001a.jpg

Well, that's all for tonight . Cheers, Christian B)

Thanks guys . I always seem to be in the recovery mode anymore :frantic

It just struck me this weekend . I think the term limited run kits is a misnomer.

Limited quality would be way more accurate :rotf

Cheers Christian B)

While trying to mount the engine cowling with a blob of blue tack , a glue seam split ( Again ) :bang head

skua_cowl_001a.jpg

So, this time I have opted to glue a couple of .010 sprue on the inside of the cowl for added strenght.

skua_cowl_003a.jpg

Sure do wish manufacturers would make better cowls IE : three or four pieces would have prevented this problem.

Besides, why are the mold lines not the same as the actual cowl split lines :idonno

Cheers, Christian B)

Back