• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

AV-8B Harrier II

Viper_MP

Hey all,
This is the new Trumpeter 1/32 Harrier II. I got this as a review kit from IPMS [actually got it before the release date] and now two months later, boom! Its finally done. Its built MOSTLY out of the box. I did add some extra wiring to the engine, and a little extra feature up in the 'pit. I'll wait to see if anyone notices. ;) Anyway, its finished with Tamiya paints and Testors Metallizers. The detail is great right from the box. Definitely a great kit, just not sure about that $169.95 retail price. :woohoo:

Genießen Sie, meine Freunde!

Harrier_1.jpg

Harrier_2.jpg

Harrier_3.jpg

Harrier_4.jpg

Harrier_5.jpg

Harrier_6.jpg

Harrier_7.jpg

Harrier_8.jpg

Harrier_9.jpg

Harrier_10.jpg

Harrier_11.jpg

Harrier_12.jpg

Harrier_13.jpg

Hi Rob.

That is just a beutiful job. And that shot of the HUD is great. How did you do that. Does Trumpeter give you a working HUD, or did you do a little extra work on that?

And the $169.95 is only the beginning I fear. I saw Trumpeters new F-14D at my LHS for ONLY $229.95 :pinch: . I am sooooooo glad that I don't do these big scale planes. I would have to morgage my house every time I wanted to buy a new kit :duh .

Gary B)

Thanks. I agree on prices. The problem is, when they release these kits, if the modeling community buys them, then the companies say "hey, they bought it at $90, the bought at $120, they bought at $170, they bought at $200....lets keep going." And when they dont sell well, you see them dump the remaining stock to names like MiniHobby and Hobbycraft. [both are just cheaper off brand boxings of the Tamiya and Trumpeter stuff]

On the HUD, it is not kit. The kit offers a great PE frame with twin clear plates. Below that, is a clear projector piece, under which [behind the IP] is a big open "box". You can either paint of foil it and it looks great, or do what I did. I used a small 1.5mm square LED that fit in the open end of the "box". It bounced the light up through the clear lens and it reflects off the angled plates. I painted the inside of the lens green, and the top black. Then scribed the image into it. Then I added a clear green square of plastic over the lens, but not touching it. It actually floats about 1mm above it. That way normal light makes it appear to glow when the HUD is turned off. I've been playing with stuff like this in preparation for a Tamiya 1/32 Phantom that's been sitting in the stash for a while.

Excellent effort on the Harrier.

I have been waiting for this kit for so long but I am not paying the price.

Michael

:)

Great job Rob. Every time I see her she looks better. The HUD really stands out. And the tape you used as heat shield on the hot section of the engine does look like the real deal. I hope you take her to Rochester next month.

Joe

Thanks guys. Bob & Mike, if you're here in the states, and an IPMS member, I strongly recommend joining the review corps. Its free, and all the kits are free. I've been a member for a year now. And in that time, I've racked up over $2,000 in free goodies.

Joe, don't worry, it's going to Rochester.

LOL, cause the only kit's I've been able to complete in the past 6 months have been for IPMS and Internet Modeler. And I cant review them anywhere else. Those and older, out of production kits. lol

Viper,
I'm not a big Airplane fan, but that is sweet...
Somehow, I always get stuck judging the aircraft at the local IPMS shows though?
I judged SCI-FI at the last Orange County IPMS Nationals.
Sweet build, really super HUD.
I've got some cool pictures of the real thing bouncing off the ships Deck when I
was still active, If you want drop me a PM and I will try and see if I can find them.
(It's been a few years)...
Shawn

Back