• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Anyone here into slot cars?

ausf

Master at Arms
I just missed the boom as a kid. I was too young for the 1/24 racers and only had the Aurora HO set. By the time I got old enough, all the tracks in the area closed.

I recently bought a vintage Aurora 1/32 set from 1965 to convert the Demolition Demon (my first model kit ever at 5 back in '70).

Well, of course the itch didn't stop there.

My Munster's Koach and Drag-U-La kits where screaming for attention as well as my need to solder something.

IMG_5636 2.JPG
IMG_5630 2.JPG

162608529_2965512080340379_8453668302873848284_n.jpg

I had a slot set but it paled to what I saw others had! Mine had motor tricycles (the Pterodactyl was my personal 'mount') on a two slot track which included a 'loop de loop.' I can't find a photo of that trike but I recall it was chrome for the front suspension and engine, and a glossy deep green for the body of the dinosaur. I can't remember my brother's trike other than it was a golden and chrome scheme.

Regards,

My local hobby shop has a "HUGE" slot car track at their new location. At a guess I think it is 12feet by about 25 feet with a long straight at the back and the front part has a bunch of deep S curves. There are always people running cars on it when I go into the shop. There is even a local Mustang car club that meet and run cars on it. And those cars MOVE!

Brings back memories,when I was a kid,I guess the late 60's in NJ there used to be an Ice Cream Bar that had an arcade and slot racing in the back,your pictures really bring back good memories,always a great family outing

Beyond jealous of that setup.

I remember most hobby shops had something similar, but by the time I got some money in my pocket, they were all gone.

About 25 years ago we used to hangout in this dive bar near NYU (or meet and prime for the rest of the night). Next door they had a commercial setup like yours, so after a few yards we'd go crash for a while. Someone was always designated retriever. I doubt we ever completed a lap.

I've got my projects lined up, all kits and memories from kiddom.

IMG_5611.JPG

The vintage kits, Aurora Demolition Demon and the Batmobile will go on vintage Aurora/K&B chassis. I bought a 1965 Aurora 1/32 set a few months ago and have the bug for much much more.

I'm also building Aurora's Super Spy Car (Bond's Aston Martin) using K&B's 1/24 Challenger chassis.

From that point on, everything will be on scratch built chassis unless I'm going to market the bodies, then I'll use readily available RTR stuff like H&R Racing or Pioneer.

I grabbed a stockpile of vintage parts as well as new stuff and a monster K&S order of brass and music wire on the way.

I'll be building a wood track this summer after my son graduates and frees up some space. Trying to scare up interest amongst friends to get something going locally. There are some nice tracks on Long Island, about 2 hours away.

I am going to have to go to my local hobby shop now and take a couple photos of their slot car track. It might be 1/32 but again they have a bunch of folks that use it and run on it. The old track was 97.7 feet around. The new track is a LOT larger.

I was too young and then I was too old, or maybe I was always just too old. Missed slot cars entirely.

When I was a kid we had a ping pong table that got commandeered into a slot car/ train track layout. We had the slot rail crossing and an overpass going back over the tracks. It was so fun timing the train to hit the slot cars Gomez Addams style and the cars would almost always get airborne going over the overpass. Shame we had no video back then. :rotf

Back