• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Ki-44

jknaus

Administrator
Well I set aside the TBD as I was getting frustrated and decided to do a P-47 first. Unfortunately I couldnt just build the kit but had to try and improve it. I made some 3D pullies for the rudder cables and showed Saul for his advice. Well I was way out to lunch and now I have to try and make the proper pullies and so again I was stuck. So pulled out this old Hasegawa 1/32 Kai-44. I decided to do it straight out of the box as I have not completed a model at all this year. Here is where I am today. I drilled out the seat and I used card in the landing light housing. Of course I lost a couple of pieces to the modeling gods and despite a blood sacrifice via my finger I can not find them. So I said Myself, myself I said, just finish it and who gives a darned. So despite missing some parts I got the cockpit painted and buttoned up and the wings installed. Engine and cowling are just taped in. Will be doing a bird from the 3 Regiment, 70 Flight in natural metal. I hate NM but will try. I'm doing this scheme because of the big white home defence bands it wears and the 6 B-29 kills. So if you're disappointed, sorry, but I just want to finish something before the end of the year.
'Hopefully get the engine finished next weekend and to the point I can prime it at least.
This is the scheme I hope to do.
1698026134874.jpeg

20231022_155238.jpg
20231022_155244.jpg
20231022_160546.jpg
20231022_161018.jpg
20231022_161031.jpg
20231022_161229.jpg
20231022_161241.jpg

Is that the kit with the counter rotating prop? I have always wanted to build that one but since I put the kibosh on buying I'll just enjoy your building.

Hi Paul. No not the counter rotating prop, just a 3 bladed regular prop. The Ki-44 was very fast and climbed fast but wasn't very maneuverable. It was a bit of a step back from the Ki-34. The Ki-84 had all the good attributes. I'm not thrilled with the NM finish, but I do like the big white bands for home defence. They make it stand out a bit more. I was surprised that this took out B-29s, but I have not really studied the PTO very much. I was under the impression it was the Tony;s that could get to altitude to tangle with the B-29s. Its a nice straight forward kit with the exception of the 2 panels on the fuselage. They dont fit great. I tried to fill in the gaps on the inside to find that you cant see them anyways. There is very little after market for this old bird and so a nice simple oob build. Overall fit is outstanding.
James

That would be fun, Paul. It would be the first time I have tried it with a contra-prop, and the propellers are supplied as white metal. We'll see.....

It can be done. I used some really small tubing and .020 steel wire when I did my Bugatti P100 racer in March. I can try and dig up what sizes I used and where I got them if you are interested.

Wire and tubing I got, Paul. I use it for R/C projects and plastic models. It will take some work to get everything centered right and balance may be more of an issue than with plastic blades.

Back