• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Ki-44

Well have not gotten a lot of time lately to model. We're in the minus numbers and getting snow although its lite so the joints are rebelling. Still Id did some and even got the engine wired last night after work. Just need to finish it and then can attach the cowling permanently. Truth be told though you dont see a lot through this cowling. Just a few parts more and then start painting. Need to make a landing light though as one is not provided. Need to figure the landing light bay colour also. I'm guessing Nakajima green.
20231031_201643.jpg
20231031_201717.jpg
20231031_201720.jpg
20231031_201741.jpg
20231031_201749.jpg
20231031_201803.jpg

James

Yeah, it just finally did a frost on the grass here this week. Snow on the ground shuts Memphis down and I get to stay home and model. (come on snow :bigrin: )

And let the frustration set in. So I didnt get a lot of modeling in this week. I did make a landing light and primed the model yesterday. Then I went to paint the prop and found the new bottle of Tea Brown I had , had a cracked nozzle and the paint was dried up. I cleaned the clofg and poured some and added thinner and it would not spray. Cleaned everything and quit. So it wasnt too bad. Then as I couldnt sleep last night I got up about 0100 and went down and sprayed the model with Valejo Metalizer Aluminum. It started okay and then just started going wonky. NNot spraying smooth and stuttering. Now I'm annoyed with the nose looking pebbly and some good spots and some bad. No idea what happened. Cleaned everything and then found another bottle of brown, Ammo of Mig this time. Tried to do the Prop. It was acting up but I got it covered. Looks marginal. Did a deeper clean of brush and went back to bed to attempt to sleep. This morning just feeling blah but went down to check paint job and now I am deciding what I want to o. Push ahead with it or turf it. Here is where it is now. I'm supposed to put some other aluminum shades on various panels and carry on. Not decided yet what I will do.
20231105_124551.jpg
20231105_124554.jpg
20231105_124619.jpg

Don't forget what a beating the home defense airplanes took in Japan at that time. Prop/engine/guns/gear may have had good care, but everything else could have been neglected by soldiers ducking incendiaries. Your prop should look dandy once you get semi-gloss on it.

I'm more concerned with the aircraft skin being crappy looking. Prop just needs some weathering.
James

James, when I have trouble with metal finishes it is often because I have gotten too wet of a coat of paint. I am mostly using the Alclad II paints but others seem to be the same. The dryer it goes on the sooner it looks opaque, and less paint gets used. I would just sand back your trouble areas, maybe masking to panel lines, and repaint with a dry coat. I get a dry coat by using low pressure and holding the airbrush well back. Alclad is then dry to the touch almost immediately. If I intend to rub in some metal powder I do it right then, barely dry to the touch, and the powder binds to the paint well.

James, when I have trouble with metal finishes it is often because I have gotten too wet of a coat of paint. I am mostly using the Alclad II paints but others seem to be the same. The dryer it goes on the sooner it looks opaque, and less paint gets used. I would just sand back your trouble areas, maybe masking to panel lines, and repaint with a dry coat. I get a dry coat by using low pressure and holding the airbrush well back. Alclad is then dry to the touch almost immediately. If I intend to rub in some metal powder I do it right then, barely dry to the touch, and the powder binds to the paint well.
Yeah this acted very strangely. A couple of spots it came out too wet and some very dry. But some areas even though the base coat was homogeneous across the plane pebbled up almost fuzzed up. Sort of like a 0 haircut. I am just going to carry on. I have a couple more shades of aluminum to apply and then the big white bands. Maybe my airbrush was not cleaned enough??? The lite grey green sprayed pretty well. If the other aluminum shades go on okay I may try redoing some of the worst spots. No matter what though I want to finish no matter what shape it is in just so I can accomplish one kit this year.
James

What is the history of the tank James? Is this another one of those paper tiger tanks or was it something that Japan was working on for defense of the home islands?

What is the history of the tank James? Is this another one of those paper tiger tanks or was it something that Japan was working on for defense of the home islands?
From what I can find it was never in production, but like the Maus a hull was built. I'm not sure if turrets where built though. It was designed from what I understand based on the Sino Russian war and the Chinese theatre. I dont think it would have been practical in any South Pacific theatre.
Ran out of paint and have to order some. Next up are the tracks and little things. For the most part it is done.
20231112_143047.jpg
20231112_143112.jpg
20231112_143132.jpg

Well this is annoying. I need to get more paint so either order online and wait a week or drive almost 2 hours and see if the closest store has some. Was going to do the meatballs today yesterday but I can not find where I stored my masking paper. Ordered some more and it should be here tomorrow. Not sure what to do right now. I guess I could start on the tracks for the tank. Just not looking forward to doing them.

OMG the tracks are annoying. 3 parts with 10 stubs to clean on very thin and fragile parts. Oh and the guide teeth are supposed to stay on the fret until glued in place, but after 4 tracks they no longer line up with the holes which are a bit too small. Sigh.

Back