• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Another P-61? HB 1/32 P-61B

Paulw

Yep, another one. I have an affinity for this plane like others have for their favorite. For the last few days I have been doing PE origami for the interior and pit. It took me dang near 4 hours just to assemble what I have already.
The kit is just like their 48 one but with engines and a bunch of other details. All in all I think I'll have this done by the 9th of April for my clubs show in Bixby, Ok.

On the PE side the most difficult so far was the framework for all the radio gear. It is real small and since I dont have one of those PE benders I wound up mangling the frame work so now I will have to go get some evergreen angle stock to make those. Here is the second most frustrating PE assembly. It is part of the side wall and has tiny angles or gussets that you have to fold down. I am glad I had my optivisor.

here it is assembled and installed on the side walls.

the frame work for the chairs is another source for frustration but the whole thing looks good when done. I will have to do some seat belts tomorrow to go on them. I bought the HGW fabric ones and they seem to have everything that you need.

So, here is three days worth of work. Even though it was frustrating it is satisfying none-the-less.

Very cool. I really should build mine. Maybe after the AEG. Watching with great interest :popcorn
James

I thought the point of building 1/32 scale was to not have any teeny tiny parts. :idonno :silly:

Looking good Paul! :popcorn

That's one of the things about the widow , it shows a lot of interior :woohoo:

If you like the P-61 , don't go to Dayton to take pictures of theirs. Last time I went there they had it in such a dark corner, the pictures were impossible .

Cheers, Christian B)

Got the innards almost done. I have been battling the seat belts and the tweezers I just bought are not helping much. I launched a couple of buckles and a part that goes in the stbd side wall out to the BHOD ( black hole of despair). The good thing about getting all these close in shots is that you can see where you need to do some touch ups. The bad part is you can see where you need to do some touch ups. I see a bunch of them. Anyway, I can now shoot some flat after the touch ups and get into the landing gear and the gun bay.

That is really looking good Paul!!

Just a thought on tweezers, especially new inexpensive ones, is that they usually need some TLC to make them work real well and not launch parts. Give my thread on tweezers a look on some things to fine tune them here at TOOL TIME Tweezers.

Not too shabby there my friend ... nice pit work ... looks very good ... Yep love Me a Black widow ... :popcorn :pilot (y)

I have the fuse sewn up but unfortunately I forgot to take some pics of it. So in defense of my slack work ethic I did manage to get the engines started and out of the two I got one almost finished. I dont know how far I am going to go with them as far as detail goes because of the lack of exhaust stubs. I circled the area where they are supposed to fit.

I do know that Relish Resin in the U.K. had then but again it is unfortunate that they are out of stock and I have no idea how long the wait will be. So I decided to close up the cowl flaps and leave the cowls on and not display the entire engine. This is good because I hosed up the rocker covers on the other engine and you really cant see the rear bank of cylinders from the front anyhow.

I have a few more things to do to the fronts and try to add some convincing looking ignition wires to both of the engines.

I thought the engine mount went together rather well and the fit is fairly good. Too bad I cant display the thing because of the exhaust issue.

I have about four weeks until our small model show and I want to have it done by then so I can at least display it.

Back