• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

All Righty ... What's on the bench today?

Re: All Righty ... What are you doing today ?

SNOW DAY!

or Hazmat Day

Train derailed out back of our plant and we had to evacuate. I'm back at the house, got some work I can do on email but other than that....to the Garage!!!

:yipee

I saw about the train on Headline News...................
Everyone thinks I don't watch for the news...................... :blink

Boy , that just gave me a flash back of my Air Force days when a locomotive derailed on base.

Still makes my head hurt when I think about the request. Pick up a 76 ton train with a 50 ton crane.

So much for military intelligence . :rotf

Bob, enjoy your freebee :pilot

Cheers, Christian B)

Unreal!

When I was stationed @ RAF Mildenhall, there was no lack of any kind of vehicle! Anything from a Minor Estate to Rolls-Royce! Delivery vans? No Problem! Good luck with your search!

small world Barney, i often pass Mildenhall/Lakenheath on my way to visit my brother in Cromer. Here is a small reminder... B)
Dsc_0011.jpg

DSC_0011colt.jpg

Dsc_0014.jpg

DSC_0032.jpg

Dsc_0026.jpg

Dsc_0015.jpg

DSC_0035-01.jpg

DSC_00460052.jpg

when were you here ? F15 or F111 days ?

Great pics! That rocks!

Today is Hobby Day Saturday and I'm heading out to enjoy a day of fun! I might even get some work done on some models!

Paddy,

Lakenheath had just transitioned to F-111 when I got to Mildenhall... I had a buddy who had been there when they transitioned from F-100s to F-4's...

Had the afternoon to myself while wife and kids went horseback riding...so I thought I'd do some LHS hopping. Turns out we have a Hobby Lobby now near Albany. Went to check it out but forgot to print the 40% coupon. Wasn't too bad...certainly better than AC Moore. Drove to Hobbytown to grab some Vallejo paint but they apparently aren't carrying it anymore...so I picked up some USMC and IJA figgies instead...

Cleaned the house to help out on a baby shower for some friends. Hid out and did some research for a review which will hit the front page soon. Sent a small package to a friend. Had fun with Marc and Andi. Painted a fun sketch. Good day!

Went to hear an old friend sing in a big band in Columbus... :dance Ate a sticky bun at Schneider's Bakery in my HT of Westerville (Truly as heavenly as I remember. This place has been open forever!) (y) and an easy drive back home. My ex turned 56 today and looks like she is 65... :rotf This coming weekend Carol and I are going to the Foley Family reunion :drinks :drinks :drinks (my mother's side). But first we are stopping at a fantastic BnB in Wooster (Market Street Inn) :eek:hyeah and enjoying a Saint Patrick Day's feast at the South Market Cafe in Wooster, OH :yipee

Yes these are shameless plugs for some great places. All family owned and operated. Yeah, Baby... a nice meal, a bottle of wine and :geek

There is a F100 on the main gate at Lakenheath :) I doubt you would recognise the place , they must have spent billions on it in the last few years. All personnel have to live on base now so they have demolished all the old housing and built a massive new housing estate.

I have a plan to visit Old Blighty in the near future. Carol would love to see it and I sort of want to go back and take a last look at the place. When I was there (1977-1981) they were planning to expand the hospital, but that was about it. I can only imagine what it would be like to tear down all the old housing and building new stuff... Some of the off-base stuff was pretty poorly constructed (we had a Senior Master Sgt re-roof his house, himself, because the company responsible for it (this was USAF leased housing) refused to. It wasn't due for a new roof and "sorry mate, ya ain't gettin one.") I lived in a complex that had belonged to BP (?) and they took care of it... We even had American refrigerators, stoves and washers and dryers!!!!!!! WOOT!!!

I always wanted to go back to what was Lowery AFB in Denver. The base is long closed and I see the Wings over the Rockies Air & Space Musuem has taken over the old SAC Shack. The old CPBO office was a beautiful building, just hope they saved it.

MP

My sources tell me that the old CBPO was turned in Condos... I was stationed there 2X (1975-76, 1983) for training (Munitions maintenance/Supply and then Munitions Maintenance Officer... a hearing loss that kept me off the flightline as an EM was OK for an officer). Many of the functions were moved to Buckley ANGB. It was a great base to be at! The mountains, Broncos, I was 21 and the girls flocked around my ID Card (CO was 21 state). A fraternity Brother of mine at Ohio U had a sister in school out there and I spent some wonderful weekend hanging around with her and her sorority sisters!

Barney I was a 462XX Bomb loader, I got to Lowery Jan 83 and left May 83. I'm sure our paths crossed at least on the troop paths! I was hangin' at the Airmans Club and there was this pizza joint in the old buildings on the east end of the base. We didn't get off base as much, transportation cramped our style but I could see the mountains most mornings when I woke up.

Did you know that James Stewart's "The Glenn Miller Story" was filmed in part there? The scene where he's conducting the band during the troop review with Gen Arnold was filmed in front of what later became known as the SAC Shack. As well as the one where they had the B17s parked and doing the show for the ETO in side the open hanger, some other scenes were done there and in Colorado Springs and the Univ of CO.

That base has a rich history but the city grew all around it. Shoot, you can't even see the old Stapleton Airport on googlemaps anymore.

MP,

I got there the second time in September of '83... I went through Fuzzle Mucker school in October 75 - January '76. I was my classes honor grad and got washed out of any career with flight line duties the next day... They discovered that I didn't have a baseline hearing evaluation... and when they did one... it wasn't good.

I was there for John Elway's first season... you could walk into the stadium on game day and get a ticket when I got there, but by the end of the season, you were lucky to find a seat, anywhere!

I loved Denver. It is a great city! But you think it was bad around Lowry.. Buckley was worse. Some yahoo built houses 100 yds or so from the fence. Sold a bunch of houses telling everyone that the Guard never flew before 11 AM or after 5 PM on their 1 weekend each month and didn't tell anyone about the ordinance disposal facility... So, when the guard fired up their A-7 @ o'dark:30 and started disposing of explosives @ 8 AM... they were mightily pissed. Congresswoman Schroeder stepped in and forced the base to stop operating the disposal sight (everything had to go to Ft Carson) and got the flying hours limited to 11A- 4 P. Stupid freaks.

This was also the congress woman that wanted all the military out of colorado so that it wouldn't be a target in a nuclear war... Lowry, Ent, USAF Finance Ctr. Buckley AFS, Falcon Field AFS, AF Academy, Ft Carson, Cheyenne Mt/NORAD, Rocky Mountain Arsenal... 70% of Colorado's tax base was in military pay and support of the military.

Ah, the good old days, when we wore fatigues, wool uniforms and had to roll out of the sack @ 0430 to make the 0600 class bell.

Started outdoor training for the Tour de Cure ride I am doing in June...rode 25 miles today and now I am immobilized ;)

Oh Joy! :notworthy

Just wait until tomorrow and the next day when the stiffness sets in! :bang head

Back