• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

All Righty ... What's on the bench today?

Looking good Paddy!
Mech Thumb up.jpg

While this isn't "on the bench" it does have to do with plastic and polishing. Also I am sure that a number of folks also have the "Yellow crud" headlights on their older cars.
These are the headlights on my '07 Toyota Corolla. They have been cursed with the "Yellow crud" for a while now. As daylight saving time is ending next weekend, I decided to improve my lighting so I can see and blast the idiots that are driving with their bright high beams again.

Alas, I didn't even think about taking a photo till after I had started the sanding procedure, but most folks on here know the process.

Healight 01.jpg

Healight 02.jpg

Healight 03.jpg

Healight 04.jpg

Healight 05.jpg

Healight 06.jpg

Now back to your regular programming after this public service announcement. :vgood:

You can come and do my van anytime Paul :)

I cut the hole out too big for the radio compartment/ Camera compartment and then pinged the main PE shelf for said compartment out of my tweezers, never to be seen again...........so filled the hole in the side and thought, sod it :)

_DSC7968.JPG
_DSC7970.JPG
_DSC7971.JPG

Cutting the flaps away has left me with some tidying up to do on the trailing edge at the wing root...

Had a mainspring barrel launch at work last week over my shoulder as I was removing the mainspring. It showed up today. Had another good part that I used in place though things like that are always a pain.

@paddy it only probably took me a couple of hours to do the headlights and it was well worth the effort now that I have brighter lights driving home in the dark. The wet sanding was easy, as I just had to keep slopping more water on while sanding. The 400 got rid of the yellow oxidized crud. The 600 smoothed the finish from the 400 down, and the 1500 smoothed it where it polished real easy with the fine foam wheel on the polisher while using Novus 2 plastic polish.

As an aside, I couldn't resist cleaning this thing up. It was built fairly well. I was able to gently "break" the starboard wing off as well and set it in a bath of SupercCean. This stuff takes paint off like no ones business!

IMG_4561.JPG

Anyway, it cleaned up well so far, I'll need a bigger bath to fit the rear half of the fuselage in.

Already trying to source some new props, exhausts and decals for it!

IMG_6671.JPG

IMG_6672.JPG

Eduards Spitfire MkIX

Well its not on the bench any more :)
the spitfire has been wheeled back into its hanger and abandoned. I was finally beaten by the flaps....
I dont know where i went wrong but the flaps are bigger than the cut out and i canty enlarge the cut out as its already up against the airfilter housing

_DSC7981.JPG

_DSC7982.JPG

_DSC7983.JPG

You can see the smaller flap which is the part that drops is right for the cut out but the static part is much wider. You cant slide it between the wings as its 3D once the ribs are standing up, you cant trim the flap for the same reason...

Its obviously a mistake on my parts but i cant see quite where i have gone so wrong ?

This coupled with the hole i cut in the fuselage for the camera/radio hatch being way to big because they mark on the inside where to cut but those marks are much bigger than the panel line on the outside...Doh.. and so the resin cover doesn't fit...
I think its time to know when you are beaten :)

My guess is that the upper part that goes in the top part fits up further into the wing. I would suspect that it also might work better if the upper part of the wing were a bit thinner. As you have the wing assembled all of that would be quite a bit more difficult though I am sure it could be done. If there is a will there IS a way.
Sorry to hear you are giving up on it.

I have a set of overtrees for this Spitfire so its not a total give up, more a bit of a re think

Mean while to take my mind off this failure i made 60 turn buckles ion the style of the old Bobs buckle.

_DSC7986.JPG

Now i need to find a way of cutting the brass tube without closing the ends up....

How deep are your pockets Paddy??

I can attest that one of these would work great!

Seriously though, maybe something like a Dremel?
"Request a quote" translate to "If you have to ask, you can't afford".

I would suggest get yourself a jeweler's saw and an assortment of fine saw blades for it. I have some blades for mine that are only .18mm wide with a VERY fine tooth pitch. I use that saw all the time. It is what I used to cut and modify the interior on the Ju87A. Takes a little getting used to, but in a short while it will be your go to rather than just cutting with a sharp knife.

Jewelers saw with blades 1.jpg

Jewelers saw with blades 2.jpg

Jewelers saw with blades 3.jpg

This saw frame and some blades are available on Amazon.
Amazon Grobet

I use this a lot to cut brass tubing, plastic tubing, rod, parts all kinds of things.

I like this saw frame the best as it is possible to remove the thumbscrews and the backing screw on the other side and switch sides with them. I don't know why they all have the screws on the left side of the frames as they get in the way when cutting right handed.
This frame as also deep so you can work it around most of the parts you will be cutting. Not as cheap as many out there, but it is the best I have found for a reasonable price.

I also use this a lot when cutting canopies from the sprues. If you cut them loose with a cutter the clear plastic tends to shatter at that point rather than cut. So, I use this to cut the part loose and I don't get that damage.

If you want to cut a large hole in the middle of a part, drill a small hole, release the blade from one end of the saw, run it through the hole, and reset into the end. Note the saw has to be adjusted so there is some tension on the blade and a little care has to be taken so as to not put the blade in a bind and pop it. It happens though thus you buy more blades. I usually use the finest blades 5/0 or 6/0. With practice I don't pop many of them anymore, but it still happens sometimes due to metal fatigue on the blade.

If you have any questions ask away.

Thanks for the ideas, i think i need something precision as i need about 100 bits of 0.5mm tube x 3mm long
Its a shame because Albion alloys used to sell cut to length but don't seem to do it any more

On another topic we now have an engine fitted having saved the mess with a few over trees that were minimal cost

_DSC8005.JPG

Back