• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Airfix 1/12 Bentley blower FINISHED

Paddy we are our worst critics. As they said the last one was pretty good to me and I am sure that once it is all assembled and covered up it will be just fine.

I have the DeAgostini 1/8th scale VW Beetle convertible. It has so many things wrong with just the wheels and suspension that I am quite unhappy with it. As an old VW enthusiast from back in the '80's I don't have to dig much to tell where things are wrong. The good thing is that once it is together, it should look decent to the average person/modeler. Would even probably look good to most VW people.

What I am saying is do the best you are able and it will be fine. So far this is looking way over the top and I am seriously impressed!

Astonished.jpg

Wow thanks guys, i think i might of hit on the answer by basically doing what Bentley did

Using a 0.5mm sheet of alloy i have cut out the frame that goes round the edge with a scalpel by scoring many times and then very slightly flexing the bit i want to remove till it breaks away
DSC_2325.JPG

Very rough and ready at the moment but i have the basic shape now that fits the plastic part so i can start to clean up and refine the shape

it Fits !!

DSC_2327.JPG

Even if it out of focus. I think the original would have been wood and they fitted an alloy frame both sides to give it strength because the engine covers sit on it

I will probably stick it to the plastic, then clean it up so the edges line up and reverse drill the holes in it and add the nuts and studds tht would have held it unless i think of a better way to do it.

Here's the real thing looking rather over restored :)

48013709127_aa32d4c75d_o.jpg

You are spot on Paul, you see something in your minds eye and thats how it has to look whether its something you make or something you buy ready made and it can have 1000 good points and 1 bad point and its the bad point that towers over all the good points :)

this week i have been planning ahead
I realised that the back of the bulkhead is as visible as the front, airfix don't offer any finish to the back as you can see

DSC_2341.JPG

In reality there is another alloy frame round this on the back and the bulkhead is sandwiched so i cut another

DSC_2342.JPG

The bonnet ( or hood as you call it) extends over the bulkhead and back to the fabric body so with the hood up you would see the drivers feet :)

DSC_2351.JPG

So the rear of the bulkhead is now black with an aluminium frame like the front.

DSC_2354.JPG

the floor on these cars varies, road cars had a wooden floor, race cars had a chequer plate alloy floor for lightness. I have gone for rubber mats over a wooden floor as i don't want a silver floor :)
the door is a bit of a problem, normally i would cut it out and have it opening but i don't think that is an option here as it would be ultra thin and the real door wasn't.
the model has a large central accelerator pedal but it was actually just a small button...basically on/off so i need to think about that.
The next real hurdle will be the large expanse of leather seats and canvas tonneau cover, the body itself is leather stretched over a frame so its got to look like leather and not alloy.

Back