• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

AH-1W vs AH-1T

Paulw

Is anyone familiar with the main differences between these two aircraft? I know that the T was the prototype and the first one to utilize the TOW. Any help would be appreciated.

Copied this text from a web page, the photo if I remember right has one of each.
AH-1W Super Cobra-

Dual Blade Main Rotor and Tail Rotor

Max takeoff weight: 14,750 lbs

Range- 317 nmi

Engines: 2x GE T700–401 Turboshaft: 1,690 shp each

Max Speed: 190 knots

Number of Hellfires carried: 8

AH-1Z Viper-

Quad Blade Main and Tail Rotor

Max Takeoff weight: 18,500 lbs.

Range- 370 nmi

Engines: 2x GE T700–401C: 1,800 shp each

Never Exceed speed: 222 knots, in a dive.

Number of Hellfires carried: 16

169514 AH-1Z 6139201.jpg

1597080321002.png

AH-1T
AH-1J SeaCobraOriginal twin engine version.AH-1J InternationalExport version of the AH-1J SeaCobra.AH-1T Improved SeaCobraImproved version with extended tailboom and fuselage and an upgraded transmission and engines.AH-1W SuperCobra("Whiskey Cobra"), day/night version with more powerful engines and advanced weapons capability.AH-1(4B)W Viper"Four-Bladed Whiskey" test version with a four-bladed bearingless composite main rotor based on Bell 680 rotor. A prototype was converted from AH-1T 161022. This was taken fronmWikipedia. Hope it helps. Gary S. XLV MMXX

View attachment 126955
AH-1T
AH-1J SeaCobraOriginal twin engine version.AH-1J InternationalExport version of the AH-1J SeaCobra.AH-1T Improved SeaCobraImproved version with extended tailboom and fuselage and an upgraded transmission and engines.AH-1W SuperCobra("Whiskey Cobra"), day/night version with more powerful engines and advanced weapons capability.AH-1(4B)W Viper"Four-Bladed Whiskey" test version with a four-bladed bearingless composite main rotor based on Bell 680 rotor. A prototype was converted from AH-1T 161022. This was taken fronmWikipedia. Hope it helps. Gary S. XLV MMXX

Thanks, Gary. I contacted Werner's Wings about the two Academy kits, the T and the W. According to Floyd Jr. the kit is essentially the same and was marketed as a T+ as well. What I was concerned about was if I could use W decals and scheme to complete the kit. I guess I coould do anything that I wanted but I thought it best to seek some info.

Glancing through pics online, some differences I can see are in the nose optics (minor) and engines (intake & exhaust). Early Ts didn't appear to have nose optics which I'm guessing were added later as some pics I've seen have them, and some don't (probably one of the T+ changes). The other big difference that would stand out is the "cheek" panels on the W. The W has pronounced bulges on the cheeks below the canopy, which are not present on the T pics I've seen. The cheek panels are probably the biggest thing that scream "I'm a Whiskey".

Back