• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Academy Swedish CV9040B

Those screens got a bit bent up, you'll need a good hard surface to flatten them out if you wanted to. I guess the bent up when you separated the part from the frame. I use a really hard surface to support stuff like that and a sharp knife to cut the part away. I was going to get some new chisel points at the UMM booth but I got distracted, they work well for heavy stuff.

What's with the added styren on the skirt?

I know I did get them a bit bent! A work in progress is just that!

The skirts, when on, were just very flimsy, they would not support the weight ot the upper hull when it is free of the lower hull. This is going to be very neccessary for paitning the camo, as most of the lower is in green, so I made it goor & rigid.

I think the next few pay periods are not going to be set in model acquisitions but rather in TOOLS. There are a few I a am in much need, including a better way to cut PE, as you can plainly see

Ok so here is the latest. I did this several days ago but have not had oppotunity to post until now. Suffice to say, this was an ENTIRE day (and then some) due to the amount of tape-masking. The paint, time-wise, not so much! So here I have partly painted the upper hull olive drab and taped off the anti skid strips. This was hands down the longest part of it:

and then the color black first (I know, I did in opposite of running lightest color first and should not have!)

ABOUT THE COLORS - When I really began looking at the colors of the units in the field that sport this splinter camo pattern, they do not have the same lime greenish color of the unit that you see at missing-lynx, which is itself painted exactly as the sales model or demo or whatever you would call it, so I decided to use the colors of the ones in the fiwld, knowing that some of the slight "garishness" would be overtaken by the light weathering yet to come

followed by dark green

and light green

and so I began removing the sea of tape:

overall, not bad! the upper hull and the non-skid steps look really great

But on the sides, particularly the light green, I had some paint build up as it was getting late in the day and I was losing light. Also, some of the pattern did not come out as intended, and some of the lines aren't all that crisp, looks like Frog tape was NOT the way to go! I am going to remove that build up and make a few corrections to the camo on the sides and turret, and should be good to go!

Ok so this camo pattern IS A LOT more complicated than I first thought, but nothing that I cannot make an easy correction or two on. When I get those I will post them as well, as they should make for and interesting comparison. 'Till then!

Great masking job Bruce, well done! (y)

Actually no, I think it could have been better, but really having to conserve funds right now, so I have use whati I have, and did not want to eat up all my Tamiya tape on this., whichit would have quikly doen. Good news is, the areas that require repair are the sides and rear, easily done!

No joke, I bet there is 6 hours of masking work in there easy

Ok so this morning I was going to wrap the vinyl track around, superglue 'em in place, and then detail paint. Unfortunately I tried three different types of adhesive/glue, NUTHIN" worked! In frustration I gave up, and reluctantly spent the next few hours cutting the individual tracks links off, scrubbing them on the sanding stick, and then gluing a few together, followed by fitting them on. Here I am moving along at a blistering 4 links per “run”

So no detail paint today! I did however press fit the upper & lower together. In this you can see where the touchup came together.

So not a Gi-normous amount of work, but the track chore is outta da’ way. Overall, not too shabby!

Got a little bit more done. here we have the final assembly complete - pioneer tools added, hull finally (!!!) together, details & vision blocks painted, decals on, and coat of future applied, so can start weathering next.

IF you decide to build this model, be careful when applying the decals, the rear number plate and one each of the red & orange rectangles broke apart and getting them lined up was a tuff one. Came OK though:

Ok so I may have been absent from da’ forum….but have gotten some work done! So for weathering these newer vehicles like this one have that paint that is almost like a ‘coating’ so there is little chipping/fading, but they get snow and mud on them. So for the first part of rain streaks and mud, I used artist oils.

Note that you can see on the hull one side before/one side after

Now for the deeper/heavier weathering, I have these two products, the “Mud & Grass” by Vallejo and the “Snow!” by Wilder. Let’s see how they work out, eh?

So here I have the mud and grass on. This stuff is pretty neat! It is thick like paste with little fibers in it, so you just dab it on. Works really well, but you have to be careful as you can get clumps of so much fiber they appear out of scale! Easily mixed back in though.

Note the Mr. Surfacer used on the tracks for some texturing...

I think it gave a very realistic look and only used a very small portion of it...really neat stuff! Applied easily and looks great too.

After that I went to the Snow. I want the vehicle to appear as though it has been in a place where the snow has melted/refrozen several times, like an early evening snowfall with warm afternoons. This stuff also comes out in clumps and you have to apply it with a dabbing motion, then you can hit it with thinner if you want to ‘melt’ the clump. Remember, heavy melting/streaking was the order of the day, so here we go:

I still have to apply the snow to the upper/flat portions of the vehicle but here is where it stands. Looking good so far…almost there!

OK so here is the latest:

I got some of the 'snow' from hobby lobby, a sieve from ebay for like $1.40, and some $1 hairspray at the follar store

and ran a quick test on my test mule, an old AMT BMP-1, thick on the front, thin on the back

I did not want any on the sides so taped here up, and off I went

really came out nice - I may need another coat, as once it hits like that and the initial layer sticks, you have to wait for it to dry. We'll see

Do....Whadda-youse-guys think, does the snow need to be a bit thicker?

Back