• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Academy 1/72 A-37 Attack AC

iambrb

Well, I'ze PO'! In fact, I-is so PO', I cannot afford the 'OR!"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-72-A-37B-DRAGONFLY-ACADEMY-MODEL-KIT-/170688201044?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27bdcf4154

here is as close to my entry as I can get right now. Seriously gang, have been working on some guns so money is tight-tight-tight, and I am having to budget my builds. This looks like a neat one though, and I think I get it + Verlinden Bombs for like $20. Even a Po's boy can afford that!

Look at the Encore kit that is put out by Squadron. It has a resin cockpit and all kinds of goodies.

B)

NEAT!

Issues:

1 - Space. i am runnign low on space.
2 - I'ze PO! that is doube my budget!

Ok, I am doing some research on the A-37, and trying tofind period pics of the plane in action over in The 'Nam. As such, I am a bit surprised that, in addition to the wingtip fule tanks (totally expected) that they seem to very often have at least 2 of the precious hardpoints dedicated to Fuel tanks as well!
http://www.farfromglory.com/a37_dragonfly.htm (Looks cool dropping 'snakes')
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:OA-37B-1.jpg

here is a GREAT little blurb about using this little jewel in CAS operations/stories about the aircraft. That includes running off of one engine when loitering to save fuel.
We’re going down now, lights out, ” he told the FAC.
“We’re gliding down from altitude completely dark with our throttles pulled all the way back to idle,” he recalled. “It’s pitch black. The VC think everybody’s gone home. They can’t see us. They can’t even hear us. I dove the last 6,000 to the deck and leveled out at 100 feet. But that’s nothing in an A-37.”
Tracers from Russian-made 12.7-mm guns swarmed him as he methodically dispersed cluster bombs from rock-throwing altitude. He laid them in a swath 300 meters long. Flying a racetrack pattern, his wingman followed, also strewing the bomb units.
The ambivalent combatant, whose one request was duty in a non-lethal aircraft, paused for an instant four decades later. “We killed them all,” he continued quietly. “We killed over 200 of them on one run.” Both A-37s climbed away, then returned to take out gun emplacements with hard bombs. “The base was saved,” Martel said, regaining his all-in-a-day’s-work tone. “And we picked up a little medal.” His Silver Star recommendation describes “Outstanding bravery…in the face of the heaviest ground fire anyone has ever received in this area of operations.”
Apparently, the Vietnamese thought alot of it too. here is a pic of a static version on display in Ho Chi Minh City:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:AT-37_Dragonfly.JPG

Dude owes me money for a scope - if he ponies up like he said he would, then I am going to 'steal' a bit from it and get this puppy rolling on the way here so I can have on hand on 3/1.

CAS is all these were made for, much like it's grandson the A-10. Extra fuel tanks would be helpful for hanging out for a while waiting on request for support.

A pair of F-5E (73-00878 & 73-00852), along with an A-37B aircraft were sent to Russia via the Vietnamese. After testing, they made their way to Prague and Krakow. Here is a pair at the latter:

DSC00886.jpg

A-37B 68-7916/cn 43063 & F-5E 73-00852/R.1033

Regards,

Ok, so look what showed up in the mail this week:

SHOTTY128.jpg

I am so impressed with this little bugger, I am just going to build totally OOB!

hey, besides being open, this has not in any way been started - do I still need to post something the start date on it when i get rolling next week?

OK guys, I am slow to get this started, life keeps getting me stymied!
SHOTTY130.jpg

SHOTTY131.jpg

I will get rolling on it a bit tomorrow and Saturday too!

Ok, my tentative steps in starting this - look how small (screw is in there for perhaps more than a size reference)!

SHOTTY147.jpg

The overall model will be shorter than a squadron sanding stick! From the looks of it, I am going to have to cram some clay or something in the nose, as I bet the finished item is tail heavy. I sent for a lighter shade of green on the interior as you can see. I have also painted the seats black, as that is what I saw in reference pics, but I am not so sure on that. I mean, would you REALLY want black fabric to sit on in the SEA Theater?

Well, any how, this is the first bit of it - more to follow when I get some time on Thurs and the weekend

Ok, I did the interior cockpit sides in a light green, owing to the small size of the scale making the color appear darker, & decided that black seats in SEA just were not Kosher, so I may have taken very slight artistic license when I painted them leather-brown! Well, you can see I tried to put seat belts in there, or at least some semblance of same.

SHOTTY162.jpg

SHOTTY161.jpg

I had a kind of 'flat thread' that we use in our specialty products at work, but after I got it in there, it looks almost like I drew it in. I am not too satisfied, I may try something else prior to install - any info would sure help!

This is all I can do until I get more CA glue. I need to glue in the nose-weight, but my bottle had hardened, so it will likely be the weekend before I can get more progress. I am anxious to get it rolling though, I want to put some paint on it!

That is a good suggestion, Sharkie! I needed some more Zap-A-Gap anyhow, so I used it as an excuse to visit the model shop, which I was unpleasantly surprised to see was very down on it's stock! Anyhooo, I glued and old watch battery int eh front end, perfect fit! Got the wings on and the spare fuel tanks mostly complete, she is coming along!

SHOTTY167.jpg

Pretty sure this is the pattern I am going to go with:
http://img.wp.scn.ru/camms/ar/54/pics/3_4.png

I am inspried by MP's Flying Bananna build and I think i may try this freehand as opposed to masking.

Have to stop and run to the store, I am making my Special Spanish Meatball recipie for tonight. When I get back, I think i will switch over to the Kfir I have running in another build. Will try to post some more tonite!

If it's the LHS I think you're talking about, don't bother, he hasn't been stocking that stuff since he took it over. Hit the Hobby Lobby in the old Winn Dixie building.

It's looking good Bruce, free hand was easiest for me on SEA scheme.

Know Pup, remember, LHS for me is the Great Escape in Sparkle-Town. Was really disappointed to see such a small stock.

Well, it is really coming along. Basically, I have completed the Spare Fuel tanks and LAU-3 2.75" rocket launchers I intend to use. I broke down and ordered the 1/72 Verlinden Bomb set that uses the Mk.82 with 'Daisy Cutter' fuse extenders on it. I am thinking of installing two of those per wing, one fuel tank per wing, and one 2.75 'hate-bringer' per wing.

let me just say that this has really gone together well! I am a-l-m-o-s-t ready for primer as you can see!

MY THANKS TO LEOPARD 2 - THIS HAS BEEN QUITE FUN!
SHOTTY173.jpg

SHOTTY174.jpg

Wow, sorry I missed so much progress!

Do the front of the pylons angle outward ahead of the wing's leading edge?
AT-37_Dragonfly.JPG

It is hard to tell from the photo of the model. I have the old Hasegawa kits in 1/72nd scale as well as the larger Monogram 1/48th scale kit.

Regards,

Back