• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Academy 1/72 190 D-9

nsmekanik

I've been on this thing for over a decade, just one of those kits that will not be built, this is the 3rd paint job to date. I had been using WEM's Colorcoats but not having much luck with them which I think may have more to do with not being mixed well enough due to my mixer wearing out any way long story :eek:ldguy ... this go around I striped all the paint off and I decided to try using Vallejo's so out came my trusty Sotar and we went to work.... :dance

Before
m7bWj9h.jpg

f1h7IzC.jpg

pprfJvB.jpg

After
x1QUELT.jpg

eR36tKg.jpg

bXgtTVh.jpg

50GBHTE.jpg

t0kb9Sw.jpg

sYoGAop.jpg

The gun cover is painted in AreoMaster enamels RLM 81a, which should really be 82a but since at the time 81 and 82 got reversed. Not to worried about the lifted paint as I wasn't expecting things to go with out a hitch and by all appearances the thing is slowly succumbing to my relentless attempts to get it on the shelf :fencing . Unfortunately I've had some Mr.Masking stuck on the canopy for.....well a very long time and it became rock hard so the canopy is more or less ruined but I do have some spares, I know the windscreen is ok though

Family portrait, Academy D-9 painted with Polyscale acrylics, Airfix Painted with WEM's Colorcoats, and the latest incarnation

AfMLvoQ.jpg

:drinks

Thanks guy's I do appreciate all them positive vibes :D All this renewed activity on my part is due to a job change, finally managed to get my behind back off the highway and have returned to shunting at the hoof to hamburger plant, home every day and working regular hours.....when its daylight for SADave :silly: . So my beautiful wife sez to me after I been home for a week...."I think we're seeing to much of each other...." :facepalm

My new favorite radio station :woohoo:

So anyway I did manage to save the canopy after all and it's presently in a protected environment as the floor polish dries to a super hard shine. couldn't leave well enough alone so I ended up turning a toothpick into a chisel but one has to draw a line somewhere hence to tape
YG98Lc9.jpg

XAUHbPq.jpg

WfL5UF0.jpg

MHDCw4f.jpg

TLAjHp9.jpg

ke6Xdkm.jpg

lm9ecYQ.jpg

sv7N15d.jpg

Enjoying all your builds :D :popcorn

Very nice. Looks very good.

The Academy Dora, is that one the one from the Papagei Staffel? The one with the underside in red and White stripes?

Cheers

Alex

The Academy Dora, is that one the one from the Papagei Staffel? The one with the underside in red and White stripes?

Cheers

Alex

It's the same kit that comes in the Papagei Staffel boxing, which has the red and white stripes, but that's not the boxing of the kit that I have. You can see the box in some pics albeit you'd need to turn your screen upside down to read it :silly: . I'm not really trying to model any particular D-9, just more or less making a generic looking plane while I master the art of using Vallejo paints. Just a note for anyone who's interested, you'll notice a bit of black paint under where the paint has lifted, that is actually Areomaster enamel flat black, the grey primer under that is Badgers Stynylrez primer, The Vallejo is adhering well to the primer, but not the paint.

Well you sure don't give up easily do you. :gogo ;)

Glad to hear your off the highway though your girlfriends down the hill must be sad. :laugh:

Cheers

Alex

It's the same kit that comes in the Papagei Staffel boxing, which has the red and white stripes, but that's not the boxing of the kit that I have. You can see the box in some pics albeit you'd need to turn your screen upside down to read it :silly: . I'm not really trying to model any particular D-9, just more or less making a generic looking plane while I master the art of using Vallejo paints. Just a note for anyone who's interested, you'll notice a bit of black paint under where the paint has lifted, that is actually Areomaster enamel flat black, the grey primer under that is Badgers Stynylrez primer, The Vallejo is adhering well to the primer, but not the paint.

Could not find the black patch you are referring to but If you can hanbrush a light coat of Future to it, the next paint coat will stick to that.

Just a thought . Cheers, Christian B)

Getting closer to the finish line :yipee

36180513305_de8f043372_c.jpg

Typical of molded on parts things like to break off and go Awol and so it is with that @#$% :vmad tail-wheel, fortunately I binned a couple of Dragon TA 152's and saved a bunch of the details and in that pile is a tail wheel assembly which, aside from being flimsy and fiddley has the wheel backwards, but it has enough strut to be a good starting point. I also have a spare Revel 190 fuselage with a tail wheel that is also.....waite for it :D ....broke off :pp so a couple of holes later some brass rod and a "fair" amount of glue :dance :good:
36180512655_2ce26532d8_c.jpg

35343728914_1e36d00fc5_c.jpg

36180512395_c6a28cca46_c.jpg

36180510805_e30495df59_c.jpg

35790972430_a11864381e_c.jpg

:soldier

And moving right along :D
I had a spare set of main landing gear from a revel kit which look so much nicer i decided to use them instead, had to lop a bit off the top of the covers to make it all fit though.

36077047701_3426a4c14f_c.jpg

35376005424_937aaf9116_c.jpg

36077047311_4bd245cbc9_c.jpg

36212175305_e91d213aef_c.jpg

36077046811_55829d6a7d_c.jpg

Finally Got some stickers to stay stuck on this thing :D went through 3 sets of underwing crosses, 2/12 upper wing crosses and 1 fuselage cross........ :facepalm

But we are winning the fight :fencing

011 by nsmekanik, on Flickr

009 by nsmekanik, on Flickr

008 by nsmekanik, on Flickr

And a bit of Olive Drab.......

010 by nsmekanik, on Flickr

:D :drinks

Back