• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

A/SB-01 B-17R "Bladewing"

It's been awhile!

I'm going to get back on this soon but I've come to the realization that it is too big a project for a campaign. I didn't account for how busy my spring and now summer would be and how I wouldn't exactly have time to test some vacuforming.

So, I'll continue on with it at a snails pace!

:D

Ok slacker! Git 'er done!! :bat :bat

Obviously, I won't have this finished in the next week!

MP, could you move this over to "Things to come" or other appropriate sci fi thread for me?

It has been quite a while Warren. You also will have to repost the photos as PooterBucket has gone bye the bye. Seems like I remember a bit of what it was or was going to be but it mostly escapes me now.
:hmmm

:popcorn

It has been quite a while Warren. You also will have to repost the photos as PooterBucket has gone bye the bye. Seems like I remember a bit of what it was or was going to be but it mostly escapes me now.
:hmmm

:popcorn

I did download the pics from Pooterbucket and reposted them yesterday, are they not visible Paul?

This has sat on the bench for awhile. I hit a wall with it, not knowing how to tackle a few things. The main hang ups were the connection to the cockpit module and the main body to hold the engines. After a couple years of thought, I think I've figured out a way to tackle it.

I'll post a few new pics soon.

Here we go, first new update in a couple years!

I hit a bump trying to figure out how I would build the engine module and attach the cockpit module to this. Took w=awhile to mull it over but I have a new plan of attack!

Worked on the engines a bit. I think I'm going to glue a piece of sheet styrene around them to make it easier to attach other bits to these.

h867b1ee.jpg

Also, I found things I can use for the ends of the primary airfoil and S-foils, a centerline tank from an RF-4E kit and a couple TARPS pods from a Hasegawa F-14 (I'll need to find another TARPS pod).

h62e66c2.jpg

For the engine module, I'm going to use a piece of hollow pipe sprue for the spine of the whole kit. I'll build up the engines and engine module around this and then attach the cockpit section and primary airfoil to this.

hf7d8585.jpg

Worked a bit more on the cockpit section, I at least have the shape for this now, will just need to purchase a circle cutter to make the pivot point

hcef09a1.jpg

For the primary airfoil, I cut off the tip to accept the RF-4E drop tank, and ground out the vents in the wings.

h6f86359.jpg

I'm going to have a couple guns in the lower pod, so to do this, I'm using a couple 1/35 Sherman 105 mm barrels and a Zero drop tank.

h00b70ee.jpg

I ground out the drop tank, will use half of the Zero drop tank (with some mods) so that the two will mate nicely.

h3c8cb7e.jpg

Then mocked it up with some tape

h8bd27b9.jpg

Finally, just an overall layout again to see how it will look

hf52c295.jpg

Working on engines!

Got the main parts all assembled. The test tubes were useful, I lined the resin burner can up with the "5 ml" mark!

h710c01c.jpg

So, I have the 4 engines made, just have to add the blades in 3 more.

hd56aab4.jpg

Also, began super gluing a styrene sheet around each engine. This is just to make it easier to attach other pieces as the test tube doesn't provide the best surface.

h435246d.jpg

I used old parts of the discarded wing to close up the holes from the old nacelles in the upper air foil

h1f65945.jpg

And made a quick check!

hdd1f67c.jpg

Then on to the primary airfoil. Had to close up the holes from the old nacelles here too (i'll have to do a lot of filling with them), opened the vents and blocked off the inside.

hd1e470f.jpg

Then I added a support for the main spine/spar I'll use for support. This was as far down as I could come due to the thickness of the wing.

h310639c.jpg

I'm going to need some more Evergreen sprue!

h6cb88f5.jpg

Thanks guys!

Have been working on this a fair bit.

Got the tail section together and added some styrene to close up the gap caused by trimming the tail down

h72fc1fe.jpg

Got the main gun pod together. I added small pieces of sprue inside that the metal 105 mm barrels can fit into. That way I can paint them separately and assemble later

h7eef72f.jpg

Also worked on painting the cockpit. I added a few extra small bits in here (radio, some gauges) but pretty much kept it stock as it was quite detailed already!

h725d2dc.jpg

h11c2b0a.jpg

The other thing i did was to begin working on the joints for the S-foils. I want these to be able to be set in the "raised" position but wanted something fairly simple so I came up with this:

h6bf3626.jpg

The top row of pieces, the long middle piece will be glued to the S-foil, the two smaller pieces to the left and right will be attached to the body.

The middle row consists of some large square tubing which will be glued inside of the top row round tubing.

The lower row is some smaller scale square tubing which will fit inside the middle row square tubing and will remain free.

h036c821.jpg

To move then, I will simply have to back off the most inner tubing, turn it 90 degrees, and then push it back in to the larger square tubing.

hd8bf055.jpg

All for now!

A little more progress, got the central spar attached and did a little mock-up again to determine engine positions and other things...

he0ed609.jpg

hb00aa4e.jpg

h07c74e4.jpg

hb32dcb8.jpg

Plus, I've started a long road of puttying and sanding!!! :bang head

:popcorn ... Guess you should have been at the show

hc85662a.JPG

I think I paid 2 $ for this . Definitely some bargains to be had :D

Cheers, Christian B)

:popcorn ... Guess you should have been at the show

hc85662a.JPG

I think I paid 2 $ for this . Definitely some bargains to be had :D

Cheers, Christian B)

That looks interesting!

Perhaps life will work out someday and I'll be able to attend one of those big modelling shows south of the border!

:D

Back