• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

''A'' for Arado!

Les, I'm finding your painting techniques on both this and your 162 build to be most enlightening. I'm not sure I could pull those sorts of things off but I think I'm going to need to play with some of them on an old beater to see what i can do. Thanks for sharing !

Thanks Bob,
I think a larger scale model would have helped more than anything. :laugh:
Were it not for the very poor fit of the engine nacelles the best solution would be to do part of the painting before the wings or engine nacelles were attached to the fuselage and then finish the rest of the painting afterwards.

Matrixone

Yup, considering that as a real possibility in future builds.

Cheers, Christian B)

Thanks guys!

Christian,
The fit of the engine nacelles was bad but that's not all...after I blended in the engine nacelles to the wings I went to glue the wings to the fuselage and found them to have a very loose sloppy fit needing filler putty and sanding so pre-painting the camo might not have worked on this Dragon kit. I suspect the larger 1/48 scale Hasegawa/ProModeler Arado 234's will have a much better fit of the engine nacelles making pre-painting the hard to reach areas possible.

I tried airbrushing earlier today and was going to make some major changes to the scribble pattern on the Arado but my air line had water in it, once I cleared the air line and the airbrush of any water I had a change of heart and just cleaned up the mistakes that were made yesterday and am now happy with how it looks.
My usual practice of testing paint spray pattern on one of my paint mules saved this model from a total repaint job, the blast of paint/water that came from the airbrush would have surely screwed up the paint job.
After the paint that was sprayed on earlier today is fully dry I will be painting the undersides semi-gloss black.

Matrixone

Here are some pics of the Arado after the airbrushing goofs were corrected.

h393b775.JPG

hd8ffdaa.JPG

hdcc2e17.JPG

Matrixone

Thank you Dave and Dave!

Been doing lots of painting today and some of that involves having to mask off some areas and I was so burned out from all the masking I did on the He 162 and B & V P.194 I not get around to masking off the Arado so I can spray on the black paint on the undersurfaces so no update pics today.

Matrixone

Thank you Dave!

The black on the undersurfaces was masked and painted. I like the contrast between the soft squiggles and the hard edge to the black undersurfaces, the markings should also help the looks of this model.

h45fd4f2.JPG

hb8b0bda.JPG

h5abc785.JPG

h742f188.JPG

Matrixone

Looks great!
I'm following now.

Cheers,

Bill

(Take off the masks..... take off the masks...... take....) (y)

Thank you all,

No work done on this one for a little while, the Mummy is getting the last bits done on it so I can call it done and have it finished by Halloween.

Matrixone

Back