• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

A couple of old railroading projects

Tim A.

In another thread the subject got on model railroading so I'm posting a couple of scratchbuilding projects. These are from back in the day when I wore a younger man's clothes. I had a terrible camera so the picture quality is bad but what the heck.......

The 4-4-0 American is my only scratch work in brass, I'd much rather work with plastic. I built it from MR plans from the 50's or 60's. The high stepping drivers are from a junked german loco and the side rods where code 100 HO scale rail filed down. The engine is HO scale and the freighthouse was scratched too. These terrible pics are all I have of it.

The other photo's are of a scratched interlocking tower again from old MR plans and the scene is on the only working layout I built.

The trestle dio was built to experiment with rock carving from foam. I was wanting to get away from using plaster. The tunnel portal was carved plaster though. The trees were made from weed stems and poly fiber. I cut all the trestle timbers on my table saw. I worked in HO scale then....hadn't discovered the joys of large scale yet ;)

Tim

locofinal.jpg

portal_1.jpg

tower8final.gif

tree1f.jpg

tree3f.jpg

tree5f.jpg

Thanks all (y)
Laura, Terry, Bob, Sherman and Joe if you like trains, here in Chattanooga TN. USA you'd have a ball. The town is full of railroad history. The Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum is located here as well as the National Model Railroad Association's headquarters.

I abandoned HO scale and started working in G scale. I love the big scale because I can use more full size stuff to build with.
The engine below is way on the back burner right now but I'll get to it again at some point. I started with a junky Bachmann 4-6-0. I'm bashing it into a 2-4-2. I've shortend the frame and will basically be scratching the rest, new cab and pilot etc. The boiler is made from a spray can and the steam & sand domes are made from pill bottles, they'll look like domes when they're done :lol:

Tim

shorted_again.jpg

box_front.jpg

boiler_buildup1.jpg

Ever wonder what the rattle ball in a spray can looks like?.....
the_rattle_ball.jpg

Back