• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

A Baltimore Clipper Build, this will take awhile..

Hey Tim , good to see you post some more. Marvelous update as always .

Curious about turning pieces with a Dremmel . That looks like a flex shaft to me. Mine has some up and down play in it . Does your ?

I have nothing to compare mine with.

Cheers, Christian B)

Dang Christian, don't know how I missed seeing your post :eek:hmy: To answer your question...3 months later.. :blush: I have the flexshaft attached to my cheap Craftsman tool. Mine does'nt have any play, up and down or in and out, man..... :D

Tim

HAHAHAHAHA ! Hi Tim , your ears must have been burning :vmad . We were just wondering the other day what had become of you .

Any progress ? I've been stuck remodeling for weeks now :(

I guess I'll have to check this flex shaft out . I don't remember it ever being any different than what it is now.

The question is where to find a hobby shop that might have another to look at :hmmm

Hope you're well .

Cheers, Christian B)

I've been good just not getting much done. Hope you and everyone is well here :v Remodeling models or house? neither are fun. To tell the truth I picked up a 1976 Stingray and have been fixing,tinkering and fussing on it for a bit.

On the Clipper I'm working on building the cannon carriage's and turning the barrel's. They are coming out pretty good. I'll get some pics up in a few days.

My old Foredom flexshaft was awesome. It had the foot pedal speed control and was very smooth. They are pricey but worth it. Mabey Ebay is the place to look.

Tim

Remodeling the kitchen . Mostly done by contractors but it has still been a mess as we're still living in it.

Mostly done now. I officially made my first big mess in it tonight .

Unfortunately my wife bent over the plate and asked if it had any smell . Obviously not feeling well since it reeked of onions .

Oh well, I liked it . Hopefully she'll get well soon . :drinks

Cheers, Christian B)

The next step is to get the cannons built. There are eight. Since I don't have a lathe and because the finished barrel diamater is to large to chuck in my dremel I first had to turn enough of the dowels to fit in the dremel's collet. A drill does'nt have enough rpm's for turning wood like this. Once I got the barrels done I made the carriages, they are built up using six pieces of wood each at this point. I used turned down toothpics for the cannon barrel trunnion's. Each cannon is about an inch long and will be fully rigged on the ship. progress is painfully slow :unsure:

cannon_2.jpg

000_0066.jpg

Tim

Thanks James :v

Note on the ship's name....The owner wants it to be named HMS RINGLE. In real life the british captured an American Baltimore clipper and renamed it the Ringle.

Tim

The next step is to get the cannons built. There are eight. Since I don't have a lathe and because the finished barrel diamater is to large to chuck in my dremel I first had to turn enough of the dowels to fit in the dremel's collet. A drill does'nt have enough rpm's for turning wood like this. Once I got the barrels done I made the carriages, they are built up using six pieces of wood each at this point. I used turned down toothpics for the cannon barrel trunnion's. Each cannon is about an inch long and will be fully rigged on the ship. progress is painfully slow :unsure:

cannon_2.jpg

000_0066.jpg

Tim

So that's where you been! :drinks

I'm amazed at the symmetry :notworthy

Thanks Adam & Bob :v ...the barrels aren't exact to one another but close enough for me.

I wanted to see if the barrels will be centered in the ports from top to bottom....again, looks close enough to me.

cannon_3.jpg

Tim

Thanks Nerdling & Randy :v

I've gotten all the trunnions on the barrels. Hoping to have the carriages completed this weekend, pics to come...

Tim

Thanks Nerdling & Randy :v

I've gotten all the trunnions on the barrels. Hoping to have the carriages completed this weekend, pics to come...

Tim

Been following this build and been humming another sea shanty as I read the updates. One of tthe lines in the song is: "How do you know she's A Yankee Clipper? Blow my bully boys blow.

I took one look and I knows her skipper. Blow my bully boys blow."

Cheers

How could I' ve missing this build? :blink

A outstanding work.

Whem I'd return to the hobby, almost 3 years ago, I return because of a pirate ship that was in the box. Make some progress and at time I find forums like MA and joy some campaings, the ship returns to Box. It's one of most hard type of modeling. And the wooden ones are the mostly complex! My congrats for your amazing job friend. :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

Cheers

Art

Tim[/quote]

Been following this build and been humming another sea shanty as I read the updates. One of tthe lines in the song is: "How do you know she's A Yankee Clipper? Blow my bully boys blow.

I took one look and I knows her skipper. Blow my bully boys blow."

Cheers[/quote]

:) To qoute Captian Jack Sparrow "why is the rum always gone....hickup...oh, thats why"

Back