• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

A Baltimore Clipper Build, this will take awhile..

Bob, I'll have to see the Spitfire, thats a great story! It must still be in great shape too. You know your good when a guy wants to let you know how thrilled he is to have something you made that you forgot about :ro:
I just sold a vignette to a guy in Penn. He emailed to let me know it made it in perfect shape and looks even better than in the pics, a big compliment I'll gladly take :lol:

I know what you mean about wanting to model everything. Seems like whatever I see I want to build one. I'm sorta chained to this ship though as the client it's going to would like to have it before he dies of old age.
He has asked to have it named HMS RINGLE. The Ringle was a captured American Baltimore Clipper of which Captain Jack Aubrey, from the Master & Commander book series won in a game and made it his private tender for his HMS Suprise.

Tim

All of Ringle's cannon are on and rigged. Each cannon consists of a breech rope for stopping the cannon in recoil and two sets of double and single blocks to run the cannon out ready to fire. They also had a double and single block tackle for hauling the cannon inboard for stowing, It's called a trailing tackle. The rings in the deck close to the center are what they were attached to. I've not seen a model with this tackle in place. I might put them on one side, have'nt decided yet.
Now that the cannon are done I can start adding all the deck hardware. Things might begin moving along a little faster :v

Tim

cannon_rig_2.jpg

cannon_rig_1.jpg

cannon_3%7E0.jpg

Thanks guys :v

I upgraded to a galaxy 3 phone and have noticed it takes much better modeling photos than my camera with alot less fuss. Just have to figure out how to get those pics from phone to here!

Tim

Well, my last post was in March.....YIKES! :blush: I hope everyone has been well.

OK, I'm still pluging away at this build. It's been to long to remember whether I mentioned the client asked for a name change on the clipper. It's now known as the CHASSUR.
So far I've been able to restrain from using any commercial products, unless you count the thread and chain. Although there are some builders that do make their own chain links I didn't go there. I am making my own pulley blocks as the commercial ones are a bit large for this scale (5/32 = 1ft.
The masts are not set yet, tapering them was more difficult than I thought too. The upper masts are not glued as the lower shrouds for the lower main and foremast has to be rigged first. This is a spot in the build were you have to think ahead before you start glueing stuff together.
Anyway here are some shots of the progress......

h036c102.jpg

h191b37d.jpg

h091818d.jpg

h4ccdfa3.jpg

h7f6ecfb.jpg

hf3ca0d2.jpg

hbe37ca5.jpg

hf1151ce.jpg

Yipes, you are alive and well ! :laugh: I've had thoughts of you having an insident with the Vet and being hospitalized :rotf :rotf :rotf

Glad to see you posting some progress Tim . Looking good.

Cheers, Christian B)

Holy Cow!

Hats off to you for knowing when to say when, making each chain link...and I hate track links....

Lovin' it Tim :notworthy

Thanks men :v
Moon, one of the books I'm reading for this build is by Harold Underhill, who states "making chain links is not difficult but I can no longer do it because of failing eye sight".... I can see that :lol:
The main book I'm using for the rigging is THE NEOPHYTE SHIPMODELLER'S JACKSTAY by George Campbell. It has very good drawings of how things where done from period to period.
As I mentioned the masts proved to be hard to taper without a lathe. It's easy to make a straight timber crooked if your not careful haha. The masts have to be square where they meet at the tops and caps. I started with round dowels and tapered them into square rather than the other way around. The yard arms will be even more difficult because they are 8 or 5 sided where they lay against the masts.
h7db9755.jpg

h282ba22.jpg

h50f2ff6.jpg

Back