• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

A Baltimore Clipper Build, this will take awhile..

Thanks kryptos :v

I'm looking forward to the rigging. I have a book by Ben Lankford I'm using as a guide, fantastic detailed drawings of how they did it back in the day.

Update: The handrails ( also have seen these called cap rails) are bent into shape. They will be fitted after the bulwarks and hull have been painted which really needs to be done now. Also built the main hatch, stairway, and galley coamings. Pics in a day or too.

Tim

:popcorn Definitely waiting on these pix . I have rigged a couple of the plastic ships and strangely enjoyed it. No accounting for one's taste....Of course I'm not sure how accurate the instructions were :fencing

Cheers, Christian

I've rigged other wood ship models but nothing as involved as this will be. I think it makes it all come alive.

A couple of pics of the coamings. It proved impossible to make grating for the main hatch(lord knows I tried) But, I did read that it was common on a ship with only the main deck like this one to have hatch boards instead of the grating. Each board had lifting rings to remove them and gain access below deck. Mine would be about 13 inches wide full size. Canvas stretched over the coamings was also used. The lifting rings I made are a tad over scale but it's the smallest dia. wire I could get.

Tim

coaming_2.jpg

coaming_3.jpg

coaming_1.jpg

Thanks Sherman :v It's been the smell of paint and stain for a bit Mike.

I've managed to get some of the hardware made and installed to the hull and, some paint and stain yeah! It's finally starting to take shape and was time to be thinking of a name for the ship. I'm tossing around two, PATHER or RAVEN. I didn't think the name given this imaginary Clipper by Modelshipways was very good, The "Dapper Tom" just didn't seem right for an American warship.

Tim

clipper_3.jpg

clipper_paint_2.jpg

clipper_paint_1.jpg

Tim, I concur with Mike . Not much that can be said besides WOW ! :notworthy

The paint and stain have really brought it to life (y) . Can't wait for more progress (y)

Cheers, Christian B)

Outstanding Tim!

I have always loved wooden ships, years ago I used to build them.

To quote Masefield, "All I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by"! :D

(y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y)

Bob

Thanks Mike, Christian, Bob and James :v

I see I left the N out of the name Panther... or "Pain"ther as they pronounce it over here in this neck of the south :laugh:

Viewing the pics I can see some issues that need cleaned up. About the only things from the kit box I thought I could use are the Belaying pins (the brass things in the holes along the inside of the cap rails) as it turns out but of course there isn't enough supplied. Not sure what to do about that yet. Also Baybee the cat ate the steering tiller. Sooooo I'll be making another one of those again. Saw a documentary on training navy personnel to sail the USS Constitution. Lesson #1 on learning them the ropes was- "Just about everything on this ship can kill you" I believe it cause just this little thing is about to get me :laugh:

Tim

I love the way the stain is not so uniformed over the deck, gives it much more realistic scaling...know what I mean? Taking not of that for the Graf Spee...

Outstanding Tim, name, I think "Raven".

Well thanks Tim for that interpretation of Pain ther . Since I have been in the South I have wondered where all those non enunciated letters went to. They just wind up in names like this one. :rotf
What is it about cats eating model pieces ? That is a popular subject. :bang head

Cheers, Christian B)

Thanks for the compliments Mike, Christian, Moon, Gator and Duke :v . LOL Mike. Our cat is 10 yrs old and has never bothered anything before. But recently we have noticed a change in her. She climbs all over everything and is even taking a stand against the dogs.

The stain on the deck looked kinda blah so some color was added here and there to make it look more interesting. I rubbed in powder chalk picking out random boards by taping them. It's sealed with a dullcoat. Most deck wood was pine.
I am giving the ship a bit of an aged look, not beat up but toning the color down to give it more of a mellow look if that makes sense.

Raven it is then... :v

Tim

Back