• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

!/32 Trumpeter SBD 3

Paulw

For the celebration of the 75th anniversary of the battle of Midway I chose to build this kit. I started on it two days ago and am hoping to have it ready for the Tulsa IPMS show that club is hosting. The 75th anniversary is in June and I also plan on showing it at the Oklahoma City Soonercon model expo. So far so good. I don't have any issues to speak of but the week is still young and since our show is in seven days I don't hold out much hope. As I started this, I had breakdowns on both of my airbrushes. My Sparmax has a broken nozzle and my Grex has a seriously sticky air valve So yesterday I went over to Hobby Lobby and bought the NEO for $52.00 by using my 40% discount.

The decals became another issue as the national insignia roundel had the red center in it (see my avatar) and Trumpeter tried to cover it some way and it left a rather pink circle in the middle of the star. I couldn't get the correct decals sourced through the various means like Ebay, Amazon, etc. Then I tried Rare Plane Detective and they actually got some out of an old Testors kit. The correct scale and all.

Any way, here is how far I came in two days.

IMG_0506_zpsfzclpqri.jpg

IMG_0508_zpsd3wy42ia.jpg

IMG_0509_zpspkkurg5j.jpg

I think the pit came out fairly nice. Just before I put it in the fuse Ill do some more weathering on it.

Too my surprise the engine doesn't look too awful bad either.
IMG_0510_zpsce2bgvhq.jpg

IMG_0511_zpsdyqs7eji.jpg

IMG_0512_zpsbawbrvb8.jpg

Al lot of the unpainted stuff won't be seen once I close up the fuse so I am not too concerned about it.

More later

Cheers.

PB has been giving me some trouble

Well this didn't make it to the shew this weekend past but I am going to get it done this week regardless.
I got the wings and tail on, primer cured and color shot. Laid on a couple of coats of future and letting that cure before I slap on the stickers.

This plane has a certain look of simple elegance, a lot like the Zero. I bet it would have placed in the show if you completed it in time. Oh well next year. Gary S.

Very nice indeed.

I cannot imagine how you guys deal with These 1/32 Monsters...

Great Job, looking Forward to your finished model.

Cheers

Alex

Back